Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #1

Problems with moving hood, red light on dash on. Wont come off

Hi guys - I ahve a 97 model boxter, bought last week. My hood is currently up and has stopped going down. The red light on the dash is on and this is obviously why it wont go down, but i cant figure out why the red light is on. It makes the clunking noise when i press the button to take the hood down. It actually makes the same sound if i press the hood up button too. Very odd. I've no idea. Any experts out there have any suggestions? I thought it might be a fuse or something. PLEASE HELP!! Cheers - Andrew

drew900uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew900uk
Hi guys - I ahve a 97 model boxter, bought last week. My hood is currently up and has stopped going down. The red light on the dash is on and this is obviously why it wont go down, but i cant figure out why the red light is on. It makes the clunking noise when i press the button to take the hood down. It actually makes the same sound if i press the hood up button too. Very odd. I've no idea. Any experts out there have any suggestions? I thought it might be a fuse or something. PLEASE HELP!! Cheers - Andrew
Hmmm. This is one very confusing post - and not just because you're from the UK. I wrote a lengthy answer until I realized that perhaps you meant something else. Seriously, help us help you!

Can we get some clarification on what a "hood" is? I'm guessing it's UK speak for the convertible "top"? Yes? And it is currently closed (up) and won't open (go down)? Yes?

There are a number of possibilities. First, there should be no noises what-so-ever with the top closed and latched regardless of which direction you push the button. Next, with the top unlatched (and brake engaged) does it move at all? When you push the button can you see anything happening with the clamshell cover (it should go up in the air). Does it start to go up and then come back down? As you look inside towards the top's lever arms - do they appear to be doing anything?

Let us know what you find out and I'm sure we can figure it out....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #3

Sorry if i was unclear. The top is up as in over my head. There is no movement with the top when i have released the hatch clip thing. The only thing that happens is the noise which sounds like it comes from over the engine. Its like the clunk from a soft drinks dispenser in a 7eleven when you press the button for some soda, that kind of clunk. This is the only thing that happens. I've tried holding down the button to "finish" the hood so the dash light goes off, but all i get is that bloody clunk!! Cheers for you patience, a reply would send waves of joy accross the Atlantic.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #4

Okay.

So you've unlatched it, attempted to open and/or re-close and re-latch and the light is still on?

Since you're getting a clunk it sounds like the motor is still working. I'm just trying to narrow down whether it's the clamshell or the top itself which is the problem.

The top itself won't move right away until the clamshell (thing in the back) starts to open up. Does it move at all? If there's a clunk - it sounds like it might be moving.

From outside of the car - does the top and clamshell look completely closed? Does the clamshell look like it could go a bit further? You should be able to see the arms for the top from inside the car (near your head by the door) - do these move at all?

There are several typical problems with the tops. One is the cables (don't know anything about this), another is a problem with the tracks the arms slide in (ditto), your top's motor (seems to be working), and retaining pins on the arms which hold the arms to the body (this happened to me).

Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #5

Yep, unlatched it, and attempted to put the top down and just get the clunk. The motor is defo working but the clamshell doesnt move one bit and is fully down. I dont think the problem is with the top, its definately around the clamshell i think. It just doesnt seem to want to move. Thanks for all the help and any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #6

Any Other Ideas?

Drew,

I'm sorry man, I'm out of ideas.

My problem had to do with the retaining pins on the arms. The clamshell still moved, but the top wouldn't close completely.

Anyone else out there with some ideas?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #7

Thanks Pete, YEAH COME ON!!! 4000 members now!! Someone must have some idea!! Cheers
Old 08-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #8

Drew, it sounds like a top transmission cable or one of the transmission thingies on each side has gone out. Be thankful one didn't start working while the other didn't. That bends the top cover and screws up the whole thing badly (read $$$)

I own a 97 as well, so I feel your pain and frustration. If I were you, I'd drive it to a good Porsche mechanic who has worked with Boxster tops before and he'll find the problem quickly.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote