Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #1

What new options MUST I have on a 2007?

Thinking of getting a 2007 base Boxster w/ a 6-speed (see other post). Just wanted to know what options are MUST HAVE. Everyone knows the price can get WAY out of hand if you start piling on the options. So I just wanted to know what options are the best "bang for the buck." Here is what I have so far:

(BTW I am more interested in performance than luxury, so heated and power seats are not going to make it.)

- 18 inch "S" wheels
- Colored wheel caps
- Xenon lights (had them on my last car - expensive but worth it)
- 6-speed and PASM ($2680 Ouch)
- Sport steering wheel (I like smaller diameter, thicker rims)
- Floor mats ($320 for two - are you kidding me!)
- Sound package plus

I was looking at the sport shifter (anything that you touch or see everday while you drive is usually worth it) but it is $700. I hate the cancerous growth that you get w/ the chrono package on your dash, and I already have 7 grand in options. What do you think?

Thanks,

Tony

Maxhouse97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #2

What do you think?

I think it's pretty funny that you're more interested in performance than luxury and then six of your seven options aren't particularly performance related. My suggestions would be:

* Drop the sport steering wheel, the 987 wheel feels big at first, but I've found it to be perfect.
* Go Bose or not at all on the stereo. SPP is a half-assed solution.
* If you're going to be driving top-down alot, then get the windstop. It's pretty much of a given
* Standard seats are great, so I agree with you on the seating choice, but heated seats will help your resale prospects. Depending on how cold you'll go with the top down, they could also come in handy.

I'd say the two best bang for the bucks in terms of making your car visually distinctive are:

* Roll bar in exterior color
* Porsche crest in headrest

Neither of which are very pricey (by Porsche option standards).

Standard six speed is quite good (same as on the 997), I don't think you'd need a sport shifter.

Just my .02

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #3

Definately get the PASM. Its by far the best ride of any car I've owned (BMW 330Ci, C5 Corvette). In normal mode the car turns and rides completely flat, but is softer over bumps than both of the other cars. In sport mode it firms up and is ideal for track day use.

BTW, this is on 19's.

Also get:
heated seats - extends topless season.
rear trunk liner tray - makes for easy cleanup of spilled take-out food when it tips after carving the twisties on the way home
xenon headlights - obvious
rain-sensor - can't live without in Seattle

Don't waste money on wind deflector - it barely makes a difference and creates distracting headlight reflections at night making you think a car is in a lane (that you're trying to switch to) when there really isn't.

Last edited by rickhuizinga; 08-09-2006 at 09:06 AM.
rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #4

I think SD987 pretty much nailed it.

I completely disagree with rickhuizinga, the windstop is a must.

I'd skip the short shifter. You can pick one up for 1/2 the price afterwards and install it yourself. Then, if you don't like it - you can at least convert it back.

Floormats are a cheap aftermarket thingee.

Unfortunately, as with most Porsche things - it's really about you Man! Personally I think paying for Porsche Crests in the headrest is stupid (they don't LOOK stupid - I just don't want to pay for it). But I also think that's what's so cool about buying a new Porsche - make it yours.

I've always thought the rollbar and/or interior hard surfaces in the exterior color was HOT!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #5

For me, the most noticable and most important "option" would be the 3.4L engine in the 07 S. In my opinion that brings the 987 S dangerously close to the 997. The price comparison to the 997 cabriolet or to the non-convertible Cayman makes the Boxster S a steal. If, as you say, things that you touch/feel daily are the ones worth having, then you would definitely have something to feel in the larger engine every time you drive it. I'd pick bare-bones S over a tricked out base any day.

Also, you get the 18" S wheels standard, and if you are into performance, a non-PASM S would outperform a PASM equipped base anytime. So unless you plan to track it, PASM is not neccesary. (Again, IMHO).

Windstop (works, and especially important if you plan to have a lady next to you -- issues with hair, etc.) and heated seats (as mentioned previously, extended top-down season, and a lady would appreciate it a lot) are a must. Beyond that it's all a matter of personal choice -- it actually ALL is.

Last edited by z12358; 08-09-2006 at 10:54 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #6

MUST Have:

- Bose system (other audio options are bad, even the Bose is marginal but necessary with the top down)

- Windstop - get it

- Heated Seats - you'll use these more than you would expect

- Xenon - think we all agree on this

NICE to Have:

- 19" Wheels, I have the Boxster S 18", but wish I had upgraded, the 19" look great

- Colored gauges, I went with white gauges, i think this is a nice touch

NOT recommended:

- PASM - not necessary and is too spendy

- Sport Shifter - not necessary, standard is fine

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies so far...

I did not think heated seats would be that popular, but that is why I asked the question. I live in Virginia Beach though - not a very cold climate.

As far as resale value - I am not that concerned with it.

For some reason I could not get the windstop without the Bose on the porsche "build your won car" sight. But I agree that it is worth it.

Denverpete are you saying you can get authentic Porsche floormats cheaper in the aftermarket?

z12358 thank for your input, but I don't want to turn this into a "S" vs "non-S" thread - already plenty on that. I have however considered what you said in terms of more standard stuff on the S - but the performance doesn't justify the price IMHO.

So the SPP extra speakers aren't worth it? Anyone have them?

My biggest expense is obviously the 6-speed - and that I hope is worth it.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by Maxhouse97; 08-09-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #8

Anything that is "Authentic Porsche" is completely unreasonably priced. But you can get a great set of Llyod mats with piping and script for less than 1/2 the price of the "authentic" mats.

I checked with Epic but it wasn't clear if they had them for the 987. Suncoast has some nice ones (including custom just call them) for $98.31 with Script - add another $10.00 for piping.

Suncoast Porsche - Mats Link

I just think they are probably nicer, you get exactly what you want, and they are way cheaper.....

Oh yeah - get yourself a "Red Clip" after you buy your Boxster....

Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #9

For some reason I could not get the windstop without the Bose on the porsche "build your won car" sight.

I saw that too. Just a current glitch with the configurator while they finish pushing out the 07 specifications.

19" Wheels, I have the Boxster S 18", but wish I had upgraded, the 19" look great

DrBurton, I don't think you're missing out. Aesthetics aside, I'm not entirely convinced my box wouldn't run better on the 18s.

Colored gauges, I went with white gauges, i think this is a nice touch

For practical application, I actually found the white type on black face on the base model to work better than the grey gauges on the S.

PASM - not necessary and is too spendy

I'd agree with the not necessary part. Maxhouse, truth be told, I think you may want to reevaluate your sport package option. $2680 is alot of money that could be used elsewhere and I think you're going to find the practical value to be less than you'd hoped for. I don't track the car, but still drive "agressively" and after a few test runs, I rarely use PASM. I also rarely use 6th gear and that's with living in SoCal's freeway paradise.

Regarding your other post, the 0-60 numbers require only the 1-2 shift with both trannys. Third gear in the 5-speed will put you in the 90+ mph range. The 6 speed should make the car feel more "torquey", but I'd doubt that the translation to performance numbers is significant. We're also talking about a limited amount of torque to access. I'd actually say that at $2680, that sport package is some of the least bang for the buck, but I'm sure others will disagree. You may also want to note that the sport package is one of the rarest options you'll find on a 987 base, which might be indicative of something.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 08-09-2006 at 12:25 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #10

The other posts are more articulate than I'll be, But....

I vote for heated seats. Even in southeastern NC.

I got Bose, but only because it was on the car. Others say it is needed. The best audio comes in starting at about 4000 rpm.

Same case with xenons, but I don't drive at nite often. Nice when I use them.

Don't know if cruise control is still optional, but I had to have it. Helps keep you under your personal speed limit on Interstates.

I probably woulda bought the base Box had the 6 speed been available in 04. With power increases I think you are fine. Still, I love the S brakes.

Go for the options that are hard to add later like rain sensor. As has been said, you can add short shifter later if you feel it is necessary.

You'll want bumper plugs later also. (My dealer thru 'em in.) And the Red Clip.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #11

Garage
If I were ordering an 07 today I would get

PASM--only if you're going to track it
SportChrono--it really doesn't look that wild and I like the the hotter throttle response
Sport Seats--The best $700 you'll spend
Heatedseats
Sport Steering wheel
Auto Climate
Sound + audio--have a hard time believing you'll get good audio with a rag top.
18" wheels

We ordered our 06 base and skipped the sport option which included the 6spd because my wife had issues with the shifter. Had I been the only driver I would have gotten the 6spd.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #12

Good recommendations on here. Definitely get the sport wheel. It's one of the best value options. The regular wheel is thin and feels like cheap plastic.

Skip the $115 factory mats and get the Lloyds. At autoanything.com and a few other sites, you can get custom colors for script, carpet and piping. The quality is much better than the factory option.

Try the sport seats first. I found them uncomfortable with my broad shoulders (although they are a good value).

If you really have to squeeze the bucks, skip the colored wheel crests. There are a bazillion aftermarket sources for those at the same or lower price. It's a good birthday present from your wife.

I set a limit for myself of about $6.5K in options (with $3K of that for the nav alone) and now I'm sorry I didn't get just a few more (like the sport wheel). Think about some of the extras you'd really like to have and see if you'll really miss the money in a year or so.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #13
bmussatti

Lots of good advice here.

I say get the heated seats and windstop.

Get what you want now, because aftermarket (Tequipment) costs a lot more after-the-fact. A $250 option when ordering quickly becomes $750 when dealing with Tequipment and a Dealership.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
1JB

Get an S with no options. It comes with the 18" wheels standard, the six speed and superior performance. IMO and it's only my opinion I do not intend to offend anyone SC is a waste of money as is PSM unless you're going to the track. Note that Porshce does not claim an faster 0-60 times with SC. It's a gimmick with a wart to boot. The chrono has got to have Porsche laughing in its sleep. You can't use the silly thing effectively with the stalk let alone read it while driving. The stock seats are perfect as well, forget the sport steering wheel, there's no way the standard wheel feels like cheap plastic and you do not need the sport shifter. The Boxster S has the smoothest shifting stick I've ever driven. If you can't drive this stick you can't drive a stick. forget 19" wheels, lower side walls, stiffer ride and they do not improve handling unless you go to the track. Do get tire and rim insurance. For around 600 bucks US you can insure all four wheels -tires and reims - for 5 years and they are very expensive to replace. The Bose is nice but frankly with the top down I don't need it. I don't drive it in winter so don't need heated seats but they were on the car. You don't need auto wipers. About the only thing that is worth it are the bi xenons. They are fabulous at night. Don't get caught up in all the options. The base car is a pure bred, perfectly balanced sports car. Remember, all of those options are going to break and it is an arm and a leg to fix any of them. Porshce is renowned for design, engine performance and handling. All the options are outsourced and will be a cost drain down the road. When you get the car you'll want to make it unique so if you order get crests in the head rests, painted side vents, clear side markers and things like that if you want. If you can get the 6 disk cd changer installed from the factory. It's a lot of money to have installed by the dealer. You said you're interested in performance, then the S is the way to go.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #15

Sport Steering wheel is cheap, get it! As for sport shifter, I'm going to disagree with others and say get that too--sure it's pricey but I find the standard shifter to have far too much throw. I'm constantly hitting passengers' knees when I shift into fifth.

One thing I would also consider were I to do it again would be the electric seats. The only reason i say that is because you don't get lumbar support with the standard seats...
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #16

"z12358 thank for your input, but I don't want to turn this into a "S" vs "non-S" thread - already plenty on that. I have however considered what you said in terms of more standard stuff on the S - but the performance doesn't justify the price IMHO."

The standard features in the S (that come extra on the base, and are all useful) bring the price of the engine upgrade in the $5k area. Myself, I'd check that "3.4L engine upgrade" option on an imaginary Base options list (over the $3k 6sp + PASM combo you listed) without a thought. I hope that you have tested the Base vs the S back to back (at least the "old" 987 3.2L S) and that your opinion on the priciness of the upgrade is not based on the 0-60 performance numbers, or such. For me the difference was quite palpable.

You seem to have set your mind on a Base, and I respect that. Just wanted to offer a slight change of perspective -- looking at the bigger engine as an option on a Base options list, instead of a different model (S). Apologies if I have repeated arguments made elsewhere.

Last edited by z12358; 08-10-2006 at 02:54 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #17

PASM and heated seats. It's very fun having a warm butt with the top down during winter (looks like white sizzling smokes come out from the rear)
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #18

6 spd

I think one of the main issues I have to figure out is this 6-speed thing (the sole subject of my other post in the performance section - but no one has replied yet).

With the 6-spee/PASM (if you didn't HAVE to get PASM w/ it, I wouldn't even think twice) the price goes up $2680. After that, and all of the other "S" make up options (wheels, sound system, sport steering wheel) you do get within striking distance of the S. So I could skip the 6-speed and probably end up spending 50 grand (MSRP), or dive all the way in, say "oh the S isn't that much more" and spend $57.3k (have to have xenons and metallic paint). Big difference.

I said it before, every sports car today has a 6-speed. S2000, any M (SMG has 7), vette, even the miata. I know 5 speeds are nice to drive and that you rarely have to use them all, but to me it just seems like a wasted opportunity to use some gearing to increase the performance of your car - i.e. free hp w/ better gas mileage to boot (6th gear is taller than 5spd 5th).

I'll post the content of my other post here for convienence:

Just thinking of getting a 07 987 w/ the 6-speed (which you can ONLY get w/ PASM). Does anyone have any performance numbers of the new 245hp Base Boxster w/ the 6-speed? I would think that it would be faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the 5-speed due to better gearing - and have better gas mileage as well, which is already impressive (base Cayman is listed at 23/32). I have read that it has a higher top speed (not important). Thing is any respectable sports car these days comes w/ 6 speeds and not 5. Also there is a pretty big jump in gear ratios from 3rd to 4th on the base 5 speed.

Does anyone have a base Boxster w/ the 6 speed that can vouch for the engine/trans combo? It is an $2680 option (again w/ PASM) so I just want to know if it is worth it.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #19

Keep up the great discussion, guys! This is very useful for someone like me, who is agonizing over what options really make sense for me, when I plan to order next Spring, probably. Still somewhat undecided between keeping my 06 GTI and selling the TT Roadster for a standard Boxster, or getting rid of both cars and going for a Cayman S.

If it is the Boxster, I love Forest Green, so I assume I'll have to order since it doesn't show up too often. Here's what I'm thinking, in addition to the metallic paint; maybe some of this will be of use to the original poster, too:

Xenons: no debate (can't believe they aren't standard in a car of this class)

heated seats: I live in NY, and love to go top down in cool or even chilly weather.

18s from the S: they look much better, and the chassis can handle it - they don't seem to be overkill even on the standard Box. Wheel caps with colored crest are a key touch, too!

Sport wheel: my GTI wheel has spoiled me; I totally agree with whoever said that improving the things your constantly touching or looking at is huge. I like the round center better, and find the standard wheel a little large - I'm sure I could live with it, but at 250, the sport wheel is a pretty cheap, good upgrade. Just wish I could get the multifunction wheel by itself.

Windstop: seems like it could only help, the glass one on the TT definitely does. But should I get it in conjunction with the Bose? I love my music (have 2600 track Phatbox in the tt) but am probably not what most would consider an audiophile; does the stocker sound like crap, or not? I quite like the premium Bose system in the TT, and that is some pretty old tech by now. Sound system Plus seems like a half-assed solution to me too, but maybe others will chime in?

I was considering the sport seats which I think are great, and relatively well-priced, but I think they will be too restrictive at my shoulders. Comfort on long road trips will be important, too.

My TT has auto climate cotnrol, the GTI has regular a/c. I prefer the former on balance, but the regular a/c is OK too. Think I would be fine without the ACC.

Now you guys have got me thinking aobut the embossed head rests too, overkill with the Porsche pride?? Hmm...if I don't do sport seats or the Bose, I could still stay at just aobut 50K msrp, which is kind of a psychological threshold for me and the standard Box. As for the S/non-S debate, I love the extra power and have drivien the 3.4 from the Cayman S as well; but I feel I a Roadster isn't fundamentally about power and speed - it's about the open-air experience; the things you see, feel, smell, and hear , and the way it all makes you feel, that you don't get in a coupe. Hell, going a little slower in a Roadster only gives you more of that! And I don't think anyone would argue the 245hp Box is "underpowered"! Now if I opted for a coupe however, there has to be soemthing to replace that huge experience that is being missed out on, and that can only be one thing...powa! So I'd go for a Cayman S in that case. I'd love to get input on any of this from you guys! Also, how many of you (not including those in Texas, So Cal or FL) have a Boxster as your only car/daily driver?
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #20

John Y - There are quite a few of us Daily Drivers out there. But there is also a very large contingent who winter their cars. To each their own.

Regarding the Non-S versus S question. Personally, I think you're trying to talk yourself out of it. Don't get me wrong, I have a '99 Non-S (hell they didn't even have an S to offer). But, you'll also notice that half of the threads (Rail26 not withstanding) have to do with performance upgrades. You can spend thousands on aftermarket crap and not even come close to what ordering an S would get you. I've always had the mindset of getting the best engine available. It keeps the buyers regret lower when I'm next to some guy with the exact same car but more horsepower. It also helps tremendously with resale.

Just my $.02 - but don't buy a Non-S and then start posting threads about trying to get more power....