Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Loose Convertible Top Transmission

I have a 2000 Boxster S, and this afternoon I noticed something that concerns me about the convertible top transmission.

I would've never spotted this alone, but someone else was in the car dropping the top while I was behind it and I happened to notice that the transmission wobbled quite a lot when the top was raising/lowering. If I put the top in about the service position and reach in, I can shake the plate the transmission is on by hand.

Is this a problem with the transmission itself, or will I simply need to find the mounting bolts for it and tighten them back down?

I realize that may be a bit of a dumb question, but I ask it because when I called the local Porsche mechanic they said it was related to a flaw in the old convertible top transmission. As far as I was aware the old transmission just had a plastic gear that would break frequently, but he said the wobbling was a problem of the older style transmission.

I took the information with a grain of salt since he also wanted to sell me the new transmissions in the same conversation, but I want to make sure that all I need to do here is tighten everything back down in there. If I need to replace the transmissions though, I may as well just do that rather than tighten the bolts and give myself a false sense of security.

Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

I have the same model and year as you do. I have not experienced a wobble or the top transmission being loose.

Back about 4 years ago, I had a top drive cable fray. I replaced both cables and at the same time, I took my transmissions out and lubricated the internal gears. Never had a problems with them before or after.

If I was you, I'd try a little blue loctite on the hardware and keep and eye on things...bet you'll be just fine.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Did you find out what was the problam?
I need to replace my 2 gears (left & right) both of them broke up, but when i look for it in Pelicanparts.com it cost 280$ for a set. it sound a little bit expensive for 2 plastic gear, no?

(i have 2001 boxter s)

Last edited by eliimports; 11-18-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add car model
eliimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliimports View Post
Did you find out what was the problam?
I need to replace my 2 gears (left & right) both of them broke up, but when i look for it in Pelicanparts.com it cost 280$ for a set. it sound a little bit expensive for 2 plastic gear, no?

(i have 2001 boxter s)
Ebay has these parts used for a lot cheaper.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Ebay has these parts used for a lot cheaper.
Yes, but the you have another old plastic gear. I replaced mine with the new ones (yes, they do seem ludicrously expensive) and at least I shouldn’t have to worry about that for a while! BTW, look a little further up on the Pelican page and you will see that there are the gears sold separately for $101 each, made by odometer gears. Apparently these are the same as the 2 gear kit. Go figure.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?

Last edited by NewArt; 11-18-2017 at 12:26 PM.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
BTW, look a little further up on the Pelican page and you will see that there are the gears sold separately for $101 each, made by odometer gears. Apparently these are the same as the 2 gear kit. Go figure.
I saw it later on, i spent about 10 minutes to try and figure what is the different, why they cost 50$ more? same brand, same store and everything... couldn't find any different!

But listen to these other options i found online:
there is guy that made this gear out of aluminum and he sale a set for 190$ (+10$ shipping) so i though if I'm already paying 200$ i prefer aluminum rather than plastic.

but then i don't know why i copy paste the part number also to Amazon, and i found a shop that sales the right-side gear for 38$ and the left side for 47$, subtotal 85$ less then what i needed to pay for one gear!

I really don't understand why it cost so much??
it looks like a regular 3D printer can make it easily (and i take into count it isn't symmetric).

You don't think so?
eliimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Yes, but the you have another old plastic gear. I replaced mine with the new ones (yes, they do seem ludicrously expensive) and at least I shouldn’t have to worry about that for a while! BTW, look a little further up on the Pelican page and you will see that there are the gears sold separately for $101 each, made by odometer gears. Apparently these are the same as the 2 gear kit. Go figure.
My plastic gears are original and pushing 18 years old so I'm good with it.
I'd buy them again, even used.