View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Pretzel

Loose Convertible Top Transmission

I have a 2000 Boxster S, and this afternoon I noticed something that concerns me about the convertible top transmission.

I would've never spotted this alone, but someone else was in the car dropping the top while I was behind it and I happened to notice that the transmission wobbled quite a lot when the top was raising/lowering. If I put the top in about the service position and reach in, I can shake the plate the transmission is on by hand.

Is this a problem with the transmission itself, or will I simply need to find the mounting bolts for it and tighten them back down?

I realize that may be a bit of a dumb question, but I ask it because when I called the local Porsche mechanic they said it was related to a flaw in the old convertible top transmission. As far as I was aware the old transmission just had a plastic gear that would break frequently, but he said the wobbling was a problem of the older style transmission.

I took the information with a grain of salt since he also wanted to sell me the new transmissions in the same conversation, but I want to make sure that all I need to do here is tighten everything back down in there. If I need to replace the transmissions though, I may as well just do that rather than tighten the bolts and give myself a false sense of security.
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote