Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 03:56 AM   #1

Need a three dimensional thinker

I've got this top almost fitted but have a problem that I should be able to see what's wrong but after studying on it awhile I'm stumped. I know I could just start randomly adjusting things but that would take alot of work. I know there alot of smart people on this forum so I'm going to show the problem and any advise you can give me Id appreciate. 10 years ago I could of figured this out in my head 🙄

OK here is the front on the top, correct tabs in front latch locked:

Perfect 👌

Now with the spinlock rod setting in the hole but not locked.

Now Spinlocks locked. Which I've been told pushes the top foward and down at the same time

As you can see the spinlocks are pulling the drivers side away slightly and the passenger side up. Since the tabs are correct, the front latch is good and the top fits fine against the windshield header. I'm thinking the spinlock rod brackets are the problem. I just can see the adjustments in my head. I can start randomly moving them around but its a one man job and I should be able to know where to start but my mind is blank.
Opinions, where woukd you start?
Thanks in advance.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Have you tried loosening the three adjustment bolts on each side of the hardtop to make adjustments?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Have you tried loosening the three adjustment bolts on each side of the hardtop to make adjustments?

Thanks for the idea but I forgot to mention that the spinlocks on this type hardtop aren't like the factory ones. The only adjustments are foward and back or shim it with washers higher. I wish it was like the factory but Comparing to my factory ones. They aren't compatible. I just wondering where to start before I start trying to adjust, shim it.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

Think I figured this one out. Took a spinlock off and the mounting plate has no adjustment. Just round holes? I elongated the holes slightly do it could go forward more and it's better. I just need to go buy a mill bit and some fender washers, elongate the hole about an 1/8 of an inch on both spinlocks and I think that will remove bind I'm having. :dance: