Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
rao

What's a Boxster S Engine with IMS failure worth?

I have a Boxster S that I bought with what the previous owner thought was a IMS failure. Its an 04 with 76k miloes

I removed the engine and would like to sell it. What are they worth? Are there companies that buy cores?

Thanks for any info.

rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Unfortunately not much.
Maybe $1000, but there is the possibility that just the heads are damaged as well as the Ims, but there’s going to be metal debris throughout the oil passages and to get to the Ims tube requires a complete tear down. There’s also the possibility there is more collateral damage.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #3

Just because it died from "what the previous owner thought was a IMS failure" I'm not sure you can assume actually was an IMS failure. It might have been something much less destructive. I've read about instances on this very forum where an owner was told "IMS" and it actually turned out to be something else.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
If I were you, I'd investigate the actual root cause of the supposed engine failure before getting rid of it. Might not actually be the IMS at all, then you can repair it if it's not catastrophic and have a working Box.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
rao

I should tear it down. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Pull the oil pan and see if it's full of debris.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #7

Pull the spark plugs, Throw a wrench on the crank and see how it feels when you turn it over.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 AM   #8
rao

Pulled the plugs and they look oily but OK.

Thhe engine spins freely and is no
t crunchy or binding in any way.

Pulled the IMS cover and found this:

Someone has obviously been in there and removed the bearings (or they more likely they fell out). Plenty of aluminum shavings in the neighborhood. The IMS shaft is also obviously off center.

So the verdict is in -- definitely an IMS failure. No color in the oil I drained and no binding but probably safe to assume there is more damage inside.

I suppose it is time to try to sell off what parts have value.

Any thoughts on the high value items to remove before the rest of it gets scrapped?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #9

Garage
I'm half tempted to buy it just for fun to take apart (after just finishing Raby's 102 class )
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I'm half tempted to buy it just for fun to take apart (after just finishing Raby's 102 class )

If you become full tempted, please let me know

This can't be good

Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

$1000 is the best that you could hope for as a rebuildable core (and $750 is more realistic). Shipping is often one of the drawbacks since few people want to pay 50% of the value of the engine for shipping.

Knowing that it turns over is a good sign but the engine probably skipped timing when the IMS failed so the likelihood of good heads is only 50/50.

If it was me, I'd take the first cash offer over $500 and sell the engine complete.

As for used parts, the accessories are the easiest to sell; starter, a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump, SAI pump. The S oil cooler, intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel injection system can also be sold. eBay is probably the best pricing guide. If you assume that each of the above components sells for around $50-75 each, you'll have to sell 7-10 items to make $500. Most people find that it takes much more time than its worth.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-15-2017 at 03:23 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
$1000 is the best that you could hope for as a rebuildable core (and $750 is more realistic). Shipping is often one of the drawbacks since few people want to pay 50% of the value of the engine for shipping.

Knowing that it turns over is a good sign but the engine probably skipped timing when the IMS failed so the likelihood of good heads are only 50/50.

If it was me, I'd take the first cash offer over $500 and sell the engine complete.

As for used parts, the accessories are the easiest to sell; starter, a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump, SAI pump. The S oil cooler, intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel injection system can also be sold. eBay is probably the best pricing guide. If you assume that each of the above components sells for around $50-75 each, you'll have to sell 7-10 items to make $500. Most people find that it takes much more time than its worth.
Thank you very much, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

It sounds pretty painful; I'll probably scrap it after I take off the few bits that I need.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #13

Garage
Would you hold it til Christmas? I have a few weeks off for the new year.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:22 AM   #14
rao

Quote:
Would you hold it til Christmas? I have a few weeks off for the new year.
Sure. Send me a message and we can work out the details.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
If you want one to tear down just for the fun of it -- I believe I have one you can have for cheap and I'm in Austin.

I don't remember the failure mechanism.

Mike

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote