Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 AM   #1

question about boxster engine cover:

Hi,

I'm very new to this forum and very new to boxsters however I apologise if this is a stupid question (my specialty) or a factory option. I searched the entire site and cant locate anything answering my question so if someone could help me that would be great.

I have seen this boxster for sale on autotrader and noticed its engine lid meets the rear bumper and has no spoiler. My question is... would this be an after market modification and if so where can you get such an engine lid? or is it a factory spec with no spoiler?

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=353814540

mr_nico_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nico_1977
Hi,

I'm very new to this forum and very new to boxsters however I apologise if this is a stupid question (my specialty) or a factory option. I searched the entire site and cant locate anything answering my question so if someone could help me that would be great.

I have seen this boxster for sale on autotrader and noticed its engine lid meets the rear bumper and has no spoiler. My question is... would this be an after market modification and if so where can you get such an engine lid? or is it a factory spec with no spoiler?

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=353814540

Hi,

That is not the engine cover, it is mid-engined. That is the Trunk, or Boot Lid in UK Parlance. This looks to be a custom job as the Spoiler is both standard and necessary for the proper handling of the Car at speed.

This would raise my suspicion that the Car has had some collision repair as it appears unmodified (except for the body-painted side intake vents) elsewhere and someone likely to go the Custom route probably wouldn't start or finish with the Boot Lid. The Pic could also have been Photoshopped.

The engine cover resides under the folded convertible top and is not visible unless the top is placed in the Service Position and the Storage Box (which sits on top of it) is removed. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-11-2006 at 05:45 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the update and information!

I'm new to boxsters (as you may have guessed!) and so didnt know you couldnt see the engine with out that setting and box removed.

I checked with the owner and its had a rear smash... if the spoiler is removed I'd guess this is a cheap repair job rather than being properly fixed... time to walk away very quickly I think!

The car does have the aero kit nose cone but apart from that its body isnt modified much.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I like the clean look of the car like this but if the spoiler is included on all boxster models then its there for a reason (aka preventing lift) I figured if it was not present on lower range models then maybe they didnt need it and it was a factory extra for the faster ones.

cheers

nico
mr_nico_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #4

That looks like the original aerokit. The original electric spoiler is removed and a new longer plastic trunk lid is put on. You can see this lid has no third brake light. As part of the kit there is supposed to be a fixed wing that mounts to the lid. The missing wing has a third brake light.

Ask what happend to the wing that is missing in the picture.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 08-11-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote