Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #1

Unhappy Central Locking Key Prob with '97 model

Hi - JUST got my boxster, its great and all but I'm having problems with the key and uysing the central locking buttons. Its a key with 2 buttons on it, and when I bought the car, the guy seemed to show it to me OK, he popped the back hood by holding down the smaller button for 2 secs or so and locked the car also. I've been struggling to do this!! I've tried with success once or twice but cant seem to get it to work. I'm just standing there in front of the car pressing the buttons to no avail.

SOMEONE, PLEASE HELP!!!!

thanks very much

andrew, scotland

drew900uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #2

Andrew, one of two things has probably happened:

1) Batteries in the remote are dead. Replace them.
2) The boxster automatically turns off reception for remote signals after a week or so to save the car's battery. Putting the key in the door and then firing up the engine turns it back on.

Try #2 before you replace the batteries. If you've done all of this, your remote may have lost its programming and it will be off to the dealer (and probably only the dealer) to get it sorted out.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the quick reply. You could be right on both accounts. However the thing is that the guy that sold me the car SHOWED me the boot and I'm pretty sure he showed me the car locking as well. This was last sunday so it is really puzzling me. Have you got any other suggestions? The red light does come on when you press the button. Sometimes when i have double pushed the button it has clunked down, but that doesnt seem to lock it either! Any more suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks, it is much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #4

I think Randall is right on about this (battery or sitting too long). Just because the light comes on doesn't necessarily mean that the battery has enough power to do its job.

If you haven't operated the vehicle for a period of time, the car won't accept the remote code and you will have to use the key.

The trunk feature does require you to hold it down for a few seconds which should pop the rear boot and unlock the car. If you don't open a door, after a period of time the vehicle will relock. If you unlock the car but don't open a door, the vehicle will relock.

If you keep pressing the remote with nothing happening (something like 99 times) - the car will lock out the remote and you will have to go to a dealer to have it reset.

These remotes are also notorious for having a very short range. I believe there is a TSB out there for that.

P.S. - If you use your key, you can roll up or down your windows from outside by turning the key in the door lock and holding it. Kind of a cool hidden feature for days where the top is up and the interior is really hot.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #5

POint taken about the battery. Hmm, it will be an expensive business to get stuff done so i will do some more fiddling. Thanks very much for the help. If anyone else has any ideas the please let me know. Thanks a lot. Cheers