Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #1

My First Check Engine Light!! Quick Question...

I have a 2005 987S. On my way to work this morning i stopped at my normal Crackbuxs for a cuppa joe....Upon restartting my car i experienced my first check engine light.....Oh!!! the agony! While i didn't look at it at the time i think i must had just turned 14,000 miles ---

Quick question is this.... Do you get a CEL for service???? (I'm thinking 15M is service interval --can anyone verify??) Could this be the problem?

Just a side note-- i quickly called Newport Porsche -- and was met with the all too familiar " We are swamped cannot possible get to it until tomorrow couldn't care less that you have a problem" attitude--- Now.... i just can't wait to bring my car to them!!! (that is sarcasm)

Anyone know this for sure?

RD

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #2

In an effort to put a stop to your anxiety....I would stop by AUTOZONE and borrow thier OBDII scanner to find what code was thrown.....they can also help find what that code means
KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #3

Smile

The service reps are used to CELs, so you should get used to it too!

I've had some CELs and brought it to Circle Porsche in Long Beach, and also Newport Porsche. In my case it was always manageable issues with the MAF or fuel/air mixture control.

If the CEL is on and stays on, then from my experience I see you can bring it in within 3 or 4 days or so. On one occasion, for me, the CEL turned itself off after two days. The dealer said that the system is capable of readjusting the mixture and correcting itself.

If the CEL is blinking, pull over immediately and get it towed to the dealer.

Also I was disappointed with the quality of my service at Newport Porsche. They were very friendly, but missed some work. I went to them 2 times for a CEL. The second time it came on they checked it out again. Also as I left I remembered "oh yeah can you replace the burnt out headlight bulb?" and the service rep wrote that in pen on the work order. Later I picked up the car, drove home, and that night found that the headlight was not replaced. I went back to them the next day and learned that 1) they always do a quality check from a "very experienced" technician who is "very good" and who "should have seen the headlight problem" and 2) they are not allowed to write notes in pen on the work order - it must be typed in to the system. It just alarmed me, how can they miss a burnt headlight? It is on their quality checklist of things to look for, but they do not refer to the checklist, and they don't seem to remember whats on it either. What else did they miss?

So now I go to Circle Porsche who is also friendly, and are 20% cheaper than Newport. I have found that Circle does miss some items, and I have gone back to them more than twice to repair something. Also they scratched my rear window, but replaced it for free. Basically I consider it the same level of quality but more convenient to my work and much better price.

Good luck Rondog! I hope your CEL is minor.
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #4

Pretty sure that CEL isn't a friendly reminder that you're coming up on 15,000 miles.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet it's going to be your MAF. Mine went right around that mileage. Depending on the circumstances, you might not notice anything unusual to start. However, if it really is the MAF you're going to start noticing hesitation and/or unusual RPM activity. Eventually, it's going to start hesitating so badly you can barely drive it.

Again - I'm not saying that's what it is - I'm just laying down my bet given the mileage and the fact you haven't mentioned any problems (yet) with driving it. Of course, it could also be your gas cap or any myriad of crap. Get the code read so you can sleep at night....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #5

thanks for the input....

forgetting to do the "little things" seems to be endemic throught out the porsche system---perhaps they are all just too busy---(although, i do recall a thread that recounted on of these "little things" the failure to tighten the wheel bolts-- well.... oops!) - When i was in for my initial service with this dealer they were suppose to quote some additional work.... never did, even after asking multiple times..

DP --- Car seeems to be runing fine... no idle issues/or cutting out.

Ill post the problem when i find out

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #6

Please post what has caused the CE light on such a new Boxster. It's the first I've heard from 987 owners on this forum and I'm keenly interested. I sure hope it's something new and not the same old crap with the MAF or O2 sensors!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #7

Damn Randall!

I was hoping you had the definitive answer.......

btw... Porsche Service says the CEL does NOT come on for a service interval reminder.

The plot thickens....will let you know!

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #8

Damn Randall!

I was hoping you had the definitive answer.......

btw... Porsche Service says the CEL does NOT come on for a service interval reminder.

The plot thickens....will let you know!

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

Old 08-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #9

Rondog--Looking forward to the mystery being solved.

I've found a solution that's better than taking it to the dealer: turn the engine off, wait 30 seconds, turn it back on (no kidding). It has worked on two occassions for my 05 987:

First, in stop and go traffic, the tip would not go above first gear. Pulled over, flashers on, did the turn on/turn off and drove away fine.

Second, started it up in the morning and the CEL came on. turned off/then on. light went out.

I just hope this solution keeps working ;-)
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
Rondog--Looking forward to the mystery being solved.

I've found a solution that's better than taking it to the dealer: turn the engine off, wait 30 seconds, turn it back on (no kidding). It has worked on two occassions for my 05 987:

First, in stop and go traffic, the tip would not go above first gear. Pulled over, flashers on, did the turn on/turn off and drove away fine.

Second, started it up in the morning and the CEL came on. turned off/then on. light went out.

I just hope this solution keeps working ;-)

Perhaps I'm missing something. Wouldn't you prefer to actually get the underlying problem fixed? I realize we as a society seem to have accepted that occasionally our computers need to be re-booted... But our cars too?

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #11

Rondog, I am no 987 expert...had my fair share of learning experiences with a first year model 986, but the 987 is a whole new car from what I hear, and I hoped that they fixed the bugs in the new model.

TVC15, your fix is valuable information, but if you ask me, something big is out of whack with the computer system if it has to be rebooted on the side of the road! I'd start hollering loud and long at the dealership if I were you.

You know, I have come very close to removing my cluster and pulling out the CE lamp so it never comes on again. Then, when the car starts running poorly, I will take it to my mechanic for a good old check with the PST tool. Same goes for that stupid airbag light!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-07-2006 at 01:27 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #12

My bet would be an emissions code... ie. leaving the gas cap loose or possibly a misfire of sorts. Both of which are not an issue at all. The car is so new that there is most likely nothing really "wrong" with the car. Get it scanned under warranty and it will make you feel alot better.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #13

im dropping off tomorrow at Newport Porsche--- we'll know soon enough.

side note--- For any of you looking for a great business opportunity..... Open a Porsche Service Shop and treat your customers as if they matter.....i have a feeling customers will beat a path to your door!!!

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

Old 08-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #14

results are in, and (drumroll please).................... a defective carbon cannister!!??!

yeah.......i don't know WHAT THE HELL this is...but whoever said emissions related was right on the money........

Now the bad news.... they replaced this defective cannister, but the car will not 'ready" itself, so there is some other problem they are trying to find.....

They are keeping the car until tomorrow to figure it out....

Good news.... they are paying for my rental !!!! (Woohooo ... Ford Taurus!!!)

more to follow...

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
results are in, and (drumroll please).................... a defective carbon cannister!!??!

yeah.......i don't know WHAT THE HELL this is...but whoever said emissions related was right on the money........

Now the bad news.... they replaced this defective cannister, but the car will not 'ready" itself, so there is some other problem they are trying to find.....

They are keeping the car until tomorrow to figure it out....

Good news.... they are paying for my rental !!!! (Woohooo ... Ford Taurus!!!)

more to follow...
Where is this carbon canister? Is this potentially related to overfilling the gas?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #16

It's part of the fuel system, it's the doohickey marked "7" in the diagram.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 AM   #17
bmussatti

I think those can get "damaged" if you overfill your gas. What do you think Rondog? Do you overpump your fuel?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 AM   #18

How do you overpump your fuel? Do you mean if it comes out of the neck? I have a hole in the gas access door that drains off any spare fuel.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #19

SD987 - Where did you get that schematic?
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #20

"SD987 - Where did you get that schematic?"

I drew it freehand...from memory.

Alright...I admit it, I got it from the 987 PET.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 08-09-2006 at 07:33 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote