Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

2001 B Pillar microswitch--can't find. HELP!

A coupla things I'm supposed to have but don't.

I have the carpeted interior piece off where the B Pillar microswitch should be, but there's no microswitch, none, I've looked and looked. Can't fix or adjust what I don't have. No wiring that I can find, even.

The other thing that seems to be MIA is the microswitch that resides on top of the convertible top motor. Again, no sign, not even mangled wiring.

The third thing, I do have it, is the microswitch inside the left top transmission. Did this take the place of the other two microswitches? I'm almost ready to try to fire the top motor stuff up, only have a new top relay coming.

Please Help! TIA!

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Yes, if the microswitch is in the transmission you have the newer transmission, the older ones didn't have these and relied on the ones you're missing. A previous owner must have upgraded them in the past. It'll have a small plug coming out of it, and the signal from that takes the place of the signals that used to come from the rear and b-pillar microswitches. You probably find one of the wires from the plug runs down the b-pillar and is spliced into the old wire emerging from near the floor that used to carry the microswitch signal there. The signal from the rear motor microswitch isn't used any more in this setup.

You might find they also updated the rear motor, that's why you can't see any lever or sign of the switch. Check the plug, if it has 2 pins it's a new motor, the old ones had 3 pins, one of which carried the microswitch signal.

In this setup you'll also need the newer type relay, as the pins are different, as there's only a single 'movement complete' signal. You should also check the wiring behind the relay plug, if they've done a 'proper' job that should have a wire spliced in to change the pins. Take a look at the instructions in the 3rd pdf linked here for info ... https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

Oh, and the first time you try firing it up, maybe do so with the clamshell and top levers disconnected, run it the full cycle and make sure it stops at each end correctly. If you don't, and it overruns, you can end up with the clamshell clamped down too far and mess stuff up... ask me how I know..

Last edited by oldskool73; 10-21-2017 at 05:07 PM.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Yes, if the microswitch is in the transmission you have the newer transmission, the older ones didn't have these and relied on the ones you're missing. A previous owner must have upgraded them in the past. It'll have a small plug coming out of it, and the signal from that takes the place of the signals that used to come from the rear and b-pillar microswitches. You probably find one of the wires from the plug runs down the b-pillar and is spliced into the old wire emerging from near the floor that used to carry the microswitch signal there. The signal from the rear motor microswitch isn't used any more in this setup.

You might find they also updated the rear motor, that's why you can't see any lever or sign of the switch. Check the plug, if it has 2 pins it's a new motor, the old ones had 3 pins, one of which carried the microswitch signal.

In this setup you'll also need the newer type relay, as the pins are different, as there's only a single 'movement complete' signal. You should also check the wiring behind the relay plug, if they've done a 'proper' job that should have a wire spliced in to change the pins. Take a look at the instructions in the 3rd pdf linked here for info ... https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

Oh, and the first time you try firing it up, maybe do so with the clamshell and top levers disconnected, run it the full cycle and make sure it stops at each end correctly. If you don't, and it overruns, you can end up with the clamshell clamped down too far and mess stuff up... ask me how I know..
Yes, thanks, it's kinda what I figured. And I do have a new Relay on it's way.

I was planning on running the motor and transmission thru several cycles before connecting up the linkage. Mine had a stripped gear in the right transmission, and the clamshell linkage failed catastrophically. For a dyi mechanic, this car sure does have bunches of puzzles!
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Toppy

Garage
97-99 Cars used the B piller and motor microswitches, in 2000 it was changed to what you have. be sure the new relay is for 2000-2004 cars, it should have a square symbol
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

^ ah wasn't aware, thought it was only updated with the glass roof. Ignore everything I said then, yours is all as it should be

oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote