Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #1

CD-220 to After-market Amp-Need Wiring Help

I need guidance on wiring the CDR-220 to an aftermarket amp (Alpine). Eliminating the stock amp completely. Is there a harness or other option to convert the outs on the back of the radio to rca inputs on an amp? Where can I get the connector that plugs into the back of the radio to make my own harness if needed? Not wanting to change the head unit at this time. 01 Boxster, not the Bose system, no MOST.

Why? When I acquired my Boxster, there were some weird things done with the existing system. The front and door speakers are wired through the factory amp. Prior owner installed an Alpine amp in the frunk and tapped into the front speaker wires for the inputs. This amp only powers the rear speakers. I am simply trying to clean up the install, properly wire the Alpine amp directly to the head unit, connect the rear speakers to the rear output so the fader works.

Last edited by ExplorerLyon; 10-19-2017 at 02:50 PM.
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
MWS

Sorry, I am not quite following your wiring description...
Quote:
The front and door speakers are wired through the factory amp. Prior owner installed an Alpine amp in the frunk and tapped into the front speaker wires for the inputs. This amp only powers the rear speakers.
I assume the dash and door wiring (both in and out) thru factory amp has not been changed. Do you mean that prior owner tapped into the outputs of factory amp for inputs to the Alpine? How are the connections made to the Alpine, via spliced RCA or screw terminals? Also, I assume the connection on the back of the CDR220 (socket C1) is still connected and has not been altered?
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Sorry, I am not quite following your wiring description...

I assume the dash and door wiring (both in and out) thru factory amp has not been changed. Do you mean that prior owner tapped into the outputs of factory amp for inputs to the Alpine? How are the connections made to the Alpine, via spliced RCA or screw terminals? Also, I assume the connection on the back of the CDR220 (socket C1) is still connected and has not been altered?
Alpine amp is using line inputs, spliced into the front speaker wires. The output from the Alpine amp is to the rear speakers. Socket C1 connector is unaltered.

What I want to do to clean this up:

Option 1: Eliminate the factory amp and just wire everything properly through the Alpine amp since its already there.

Option 2: Connect the Alpine amp to the rear outs on the head unit.
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
MWS

Personally, I like option 1; using one amp...assuming the Alpine is 4 channel. Google "cdr220 connections" for a breakdown of socket C1 pin assignments to be used for line inputs to Alpine (sorry, I don't remember off the top of my head the wire colors, but easy enough to figure out). If you really needed to, I think at one time Becker Autosound sold a RCA kit for the CDR220, but don't know if they still do. Personally, I would skip the RCA's and just use line inputs (screw terminals) on the Alpine.

Final thought...whatever you end up doing, please don't leave a future potential owner scratching their head like you are doing now....although I don't think that's the case as your goal is to fix what someone else had done before. Also, as some advice, draw out your wiring plan (with wire colors) before you start...could save time trying to figure out things as you go. Having a plan is always a good thing.

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote