Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 AM   #21

How about this argument. We drive cars because of how they drive and how they match our personalities. I don't think anyone is arguing that a vette sucks...we are just voicing our support for the car that we have chose. We are on a Porsche forum because we like Porsches soooo.....we feel a sense of camraderie in supporting our own. What is the first rule of the playground? Make fun of those who are different.

I would be driving a Aston Martin if I could afford it. However, I look forward to getting into my daily driver Box...in fact I might skip the shower before work just so I can take the long way through the mountain. The only problem is I have done this for a week straight...people are starting to talk.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Geez, zip up your pants--your ego's showing! Why do you always feel the need to chastise people from on high? I'm surprised you don't use The Royal "we".

Y'know, you COULD just say how the C6 is a fine automobile WITHOUT denigrating other forum members.

For instance: I love the way the C6 sounds, looks (outside), and flies. Nothing like it in the price range. Interior build quality is the only thing that stopped me from buying one then, while continuing quality issues are the only things stopping me from buying one now.

Hi,

Huh...??? I'm not even going to go there. But let me get this right, exactly which forum members did I denigrate?

You reinforce my point about every car having criticizable issues. Guess you'd rather deal with the quality issues of a Porsche than those of a Chevy - that's acting a little Regal don't you think?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-09-2006 at 05:49 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:56 AM   #23

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Hardly an unbiased thread. Everyone won't/can't appreciate the car's fine points, even those who may have owned/driven them. This is true of every car - all cars can be criticized for something and not everyone will like them.

The C6 is the Real Deal, a true World Class Car. This has been proven in numerous reviews, at the Track, and in the Salesroom. To ignore this simply shows how little one may know about cars in general. The C6 represents 50+ years of continual development with each itineration getting better than those before. GM is to be commended for staying the course - much longer than Porsche for any of their models.

I fail to see the logic which says that denegrating one Marque/model somehow raises the stature of another. Face it, Porsche isn't the only one making Great Cars. Get over your bad selves...

Hang on. The 'Vette is not that great a value. It just looks good compared to most of the GM junk out there. When I was pricing a C6 convertible, we were looking at a $64K+ sticker and no one was discounting. Getting a power top was $1995 alone. I hated the steering wheel that came from a Malibu (although the 987 standard wheel is no great shakes, either). The paint was full of orange peel, the shifter was notchy and, as stated earlier, the heads-up display was crooked on the demo car. The convertible top was a piece of garbage that looked like it came from a Rayco muffler shop.

The only advantage you get for that $64K vs. a 987S is another second off of 0-60 and probably more low-end torque. As far as looks go, that's subjective. I think the C6 looks more aggressive, the 987S more classic and better looking 10 years down the road (when I might still have mine). Otherwise, the 987S is superior in handling, braking, build quality, etc., etc.

The Corvette is a good value if you buy a stripper in the low $40s, but a convertible in the mid-$60s needs to be a lot better than the C6 now stands, IMHO.

OK, now somebody stop me. I never thought I'd be plugging Porsche as a good value.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Huh...??? I'm not even going to go there. But let me get this right, exactly which forum members did I denigrate?

You reinforce my point about every car having criticizable issues. Guess you'd rather deal with the quality issues of a Porsche than those of a Chevy - that's acting a little Regal don't you think?...

What can I say, Your Worship--if you don't get it, you don't get it.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #25

Talking

C'mon boys, lets play nice here.

My Porsche is faster than your Porsche!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #26

Has anybody run this thread by the "Forum Police" to make sure this qualifies as insightful or remotely funny?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
C'mon boys, lets play nice here.
Well, that's exactly my point.

Hey, did y'all see the fact that the 2007 Z06 is going to be $4,310 more than the 2006? It's going to be $70,000. They didn't change much either according to this blog posting:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/08/2007-corvette-z06-goes-atomic-and-gets-higher-price/

One of the comments left there says, "for 1.59 more of the base price, you get 1.20 more of the power and torque."

Sounds like they're pulling a Porsche to me.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #28

Smile

I drove a Z06 the other day. That car is just downright scary. Makes the 911 Turbo seem sedate.

Perhaps someday?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote