Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 AM   #1

Pulled the trigger on a new top

Well, I finally decided to have a new top installed on my 1998 Boxster. I'll be replacing the almost 20 year old (original) top with a new GAHH black cloth with the glass rear window. The old top looks decent enough but is no longer taught, has same wear spots and the rear plastic window, while still clear, flaps around as I drive. So it's time. I figure the top has served me well and 20 years is a good long life.

I located an installing company that has done lots of Boxster tops and does much of his work for a couple of local Porsche dealers in the area. It's important I use a experienced shop. I did some shopping around for price and (for the Chicago area) they seemed to come in at a price that was in line with others ($1,750 top and installation and tax..."out the door").

Anything else I should know, look for or expect?

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
Well, I finally decided to have a new top installed on my 1998 Boxster. I'll be replacing the almost 20 year old (original) top with a new GAHH black cloth with the glass rear window. The old top looks decent enough but is no longer taught, has same wear spots and the rear plastic window, while still clear, flaps around as I drive. So it's time. I figure the top has served me well and 20 years is a good long life.

I located an installing company that has done lots of Boxster tops and does much of his work for a couple of local Porsche dealers in the area. It's important I use a experienced shop. I did some shopping around for price and (for the Chicago area) they seemed to come in at a price that was in line with others ($1,750 top and installation and tax..."out the door").

Topps in Downers Grove is someone to consider if you haven't. Are you securing/ buying the top or is the shop?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

I'm letting the installing company buy the GAHH top. I'm not a fan of bringing in my own parts. I know it can save a few bucks but IF any issues arise while installing the top it's the installers problem not mine. (Kinda like paying a slight "insurance premium" if the installer has issues or there's a problem with the part.) If I bought a new top often, then I may try to save a few bucks....but buying one every 20 years I can afford to pay a little more for piece of mind. Also, should a problem occur in the future with either the top or the install I only have to deal with one company.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
You're gonna love the new top. It takes a little while getting used to the smaller window at first, but it's worth it.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post

What are you going to use your boxster chop arm for now tho lol. I love the look of my plastic window as its been changed before I got the car but I does put me off putting the roof down.

Be sure to post a picture
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #6

Garage
That sounds like a reasonable price for an installed GAHH top. You only think your plastic window is clear, wait until you look through that glass window for the first time
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #7

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question......When I bought my 02S 4 years ago it came with a new in the box GAHH top with a glass window. I haven't had it installed yet because the original top with the plastic window is still in really good shape. The box says it will fit an 02 model year. Will I have to get a newer frame or can I use the original 02 frame ?........Thanks in advance.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #8

Garage
It will use your current frame
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #9

Thanks......
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #10

Just make sure you get the strap for holding the top in place when in service position. It should be delivered with the top, but the shop might forget to hand it to you.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #11

Good info......thanks.