Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #1

No sound radio FIXED!!!

A couple of months ago I had to jump my car because the battery was low. After jumping my radio had no sound. Lit up, tuner working, cd loads and shows it's playing no sound. Ask about it here and was told that I probably blew a fuse on the amp. Well since I enjoy the sound of my engine while racing about I didnt care about the radio at the time. I've decided to see if i can figure it out but i dont know anything about this so if someone does I'd appreciate any help. Its a 2003 with bose speaker package. .Here's what I've found out.

Only one fuse on back of radio and it's good.
Removed rear speaker shelf and made sure it's plugged in.
Can't find an amp, googled it and from what I've read it doesn't have one.
Checked fuses pertaining to radio and the both look good.
Speakers seem not to be working.
Another odd thing is after jumping, removing and unplugging radio, removing fuse It never has needed a code to come on and work, except the speakers.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by JBauer; 10-12-2017 at 09:08 AM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Look for an amp in the frunk, behind and above the spare tire and in front of the battery. Don't know what fuse to tell you to look for but it sure sounds like no power to your amp.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Look for an amp in the frunk, behind and above the spare tire and in front of the battery. Don't know what fuse to tell you to look for but it sure sounds like no power to your amp.
This?
Everything's plugged in, see no fuse or access to anywhere there would be a fuse.

Last edited by JBauer; 10-11-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
MWS

Is it possible that your issue is also related to your "what is it?" post? Have you seen signs of other non-Porsche wiring? Here are my possible thoughts....someone might have installed a second (replacement) amp (under seat at or behind console), and the mystery wire from before is the amp ground (larger gauge red) and either the power or the remote (switched) lead (the one going to the fuse); or if there wasn't a second amp, it it possible they bypassed the original amp wiring? Did you finish running down the previous mystery wire?

From what I understand, you don't have a multimeter. I would suggest getting even a cheap one...at this point you don't need a lot of knowledge on multimeter operation, just set it check for either 12v or at least continuity...this will allow you to help sort out your issues.

Finally, regarding you battery vent line...I would think you would have a small nipple at the top sde of battery...line attaches there. Also, a good practice is to check vent line for obstruction (a quick blast of air works).

Best luck, if I can be of further help, let me know.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
Boxster 986

Same thing is going on with mine. I have checked all the wiring and found the amp isn’t plugged in, but the speakers should work if i switch the power IC to on to use the radios built in amp. Only other logical (and experienced) solution i have is that a speaker it touching part of the car frame, and needs to be adjusted. Happens to my truck when im going over really bumpy areas the whole sound just goes out until i reseat the one speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Is it possible that your issue is also related to your "what is it?" post? Have you seen signs of other non-Porsche wiring? Here are my possible thoughts....someone might have installed a second (replacement) amp (under seat at or behind console), and the mystery wire from before is the amp ground (larger gauge red) and either the power or the remote (switched) lead (the one going to the fuse); or if there wasn't a second amp, it it possible they bypassed the original amp wiring? Did you finish running down the previous mystery wire?

From what I understand, you don't have a multimeter. I would suggest getting even a cheap one...at this point you don't need a lot of knowledge on multimeter operation, just set it check for either 12v or at least continuity...this will allow you to help sort out your issues.

Finally, regarding you battery vent line...I would think you would have a small nipple at the top sde of battery...line attaches there. Also, a good practice is to check vent line for obstruction (a quick blast of air works).

Best luck, if I can be of further help, let me know.
I'm starting to think maybe it does. Although the radio quit working several months ago and I just unhooked the wire a few days ago. I'm going to try to trace it down tomorrow and ill let you know what I find.
I've got this thing i bought years ago but never used it. The only problem with it is it has all these knobs and wires and stuff 🙄

Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

For your car, that meter is easy to use.

To check voltage, set the knob on the orange '20', which represents 20 volts max range. everything you check should be ~12, with your black lead grounded.

To check for continuity, set the meter to the white '200' and touch your leads together. You should see a '0' on your display and hear a beep. That's all you need to check for connections. Ex. Put a meter lead on each end of your fuse and you should see '0' (or something really close to 0) if the connection is good. If no connection, you will see something like "OL" or whatever your meter displays when your leads are not touching anything.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #8

Check fuses D8 and D9. Not sure if either is directly for your amp but D9 may be.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #9

No sound radio FIXED!!!

I wasn't thinking when I was asking about the fuse on the back of the radio. All I had to do is put it back and the radio lit up and everything worked except the speakers which was my original problem.
The good news is last night I did a google search of my problem and I came up with a forum question that mirrored my problem. The person with my problem was told to unhook his battery and wait 10 minutes, then hook it back up and all will be fine. Sounded kind of simplistic to me but what the heck I gave it a shot.

Radio and speakers work fine now. No problem whatsoever ��

So I guess you can believe everything you read on the internet ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Check fuses D8 and D9. Not sure if either is directly for your amp but D9 may be.

Last edited by JBauer; 10-12-2017 at 09:10 AM.