Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #1

Boxster in Winter & HiFi

I'm planning to buy a '02 Boxter, but before I need some feedback from "real" owners.

Winter: I'm new to NJ (just moved from the warm Spain): is it possible to use that car as a daily drive car during winter (40 miles commute)? Do I need winter tyres (and how much is it)? Is it worth to buy the Hard Top?

Sound: How's the standard sound system quality? Lot of difference with Bose one?

This will make my final decision easyer. Thanks a lot.

David

soydrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:25 AM   #2

Smile

Yes, you can use the Box in winter. You WILL need a good set of real snow tires, such as Blizzaks. You can obtain a price estimate on Tire Rack.com.

If the snow accumulates enough, you cannot drive the Box as its low height will get you stuck on top of a decent accumulation.

A hardtop is recommended but not essential.

IMHO, the stock sound system is junk. The Bose is better and preferrable.

Good luck.

PS-watch our for the NJ Potholes, they can swallow an entire Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 AM   #3

agreed on the sound system, it is absolutely horrible. if you want to enjoy it w/ the top down on the freeway, you need serious work and serious watts. i FINALLY got mine dialed in, but it's not an easy car to fix in that respect.

on the up side, the engine sounds so good you almost don't need a stereo....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to yfei
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
on the up side, the engine sounds so good you almost don't need a stereo....
Agree

I haven't tried listen standard sound system. Bose system is clear, crisp and lot of bass, but still no where close to HiFi.
Bose Audio System
yfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #5

Completely agree with what Brucelee posted. A good set of tires is key and keeping in mind that the Box is pretty low will help you avoid nasty snow piles. I would also add that, if possible, buy an extra set of wheels for the snow tires -- especially if you have some really nice rims. I bought a used set of Porsche rims pretty cheap when I got my tires. The place I use also stores my "summer" tires and changes them out for a reasonable price -- it'll be more expensive in Jersey.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #6

I have finished up a New Jersey winter this year with my Boxster driven almost daily. I find myself posting semi-regularly defending driving this car in the snow. BruceLee is right - with good tires you will be just fine. I ordered a set of knockoff cup 3 wheels and winter conties from Tirerack for just over $1k and had no problems at all.

Of important note: I could not find what I wanted on Tirerack.com but when I called the 800 number, I got excellent service and exactly what I was looking for at a better price than I expected!

Good luck. What part of Jersey did you move to anyway? Enjoying the flooding?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
bmussatti

You could always use these on real bad snow-days!!

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/tequipment/n39/n236/n253/
Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #8

snow tires

I rode my 05 box all winter here in chi town with snow tires and had no problems.....it's nice not to have to put it away....you'll be fine
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
PS-watch our for the NJ Potholes, they can swallow an entire Box.
yeah, that's no joke. I blew three tires two winters ago in my Acura. Not cool...

Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #10

I'd like to ditto "super 66" as i have driven my 04' Box all winter in Indianapolis. I did buy winter tires (front and rear) and wheels....all winter I was the only Box on the road...now the garage queens are all over....of course last winter was not a bad one accumulation wiae and I experienced no ground clearance problems but would certainly caution you about deep snow....don't go out in it! I had no problems on snow covered roads...an occasional 2nd gear start was all that was neccessary. I love driving this car and the winter so far has not been a problem. Now keeping it clean in the winter....that's another story....you just can't imagine how cold you can get trying to wash your car in 37 degree weather.
stock as a rock
ford40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford40
....you just can't imagine how cold you can get trying to wash your car in 37 degree weather.
Washing it in 37 degree weather is not nearly as bad as washing it in 31 degree weather. Don't ask me how I know. What you need are these three easy retrofits. Best money ever spent...trust me.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #12

I drove my 987 all through this past winter in Toronto. I put winter tires and rims on which helped immensely (it was like driving on ice-skates without 'em). I never felt like the car was slipping out from under me.

As for the hard top.. I'm not sure. I didn't have one and I had no problems with heat -- if anything the cabin was too hot. The only thing that might be an issue is snow/ice buildup on the rag-top. I park underground, though, so it didn't much matter to me.

As someone already mentioned.. keeping it clean is another matter altogether.

Berj
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #13

Did you just put snow tires on the rear or both front/rear? I tend to put 4 winer tires on cars,and was just wondering what the Boxster owners do.

I'm looking at buying a Boxster in the very near future, and THis forum is great for good info/advice.

Thanks.

Regards,
Paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
Did you just put snow tires on the rear or both front/rear? I tend to put 4 winer tires on cars,and was just wondering what the Boxster owners do.

I'm looking at buying a Boxster in the very near future, and THis forum is great for good info/advice.

Thanks.

Regards,
Paul...

All four wheels, no doubt!

Old 07-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:

Thanks.

Regards,
Paul...
All four.. new tires, new rims. The dealer stored my summer set for me (and are now storing my winter set).
Old 07-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #16

Quote:

Thanks.

Regards,
Paul...
I agree with the others about using snow tires on all 4 wheels. I know where you are going with the idea of just using 2, and that makes some sense with regards to traction while accelerating, but the real thing to be concerned with is stopping, and you want all four tires working as hard for you as possible during that process.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I agree with the others about using snow tires on all 4 wheels. I know where you are going with the idea of just using 2, and that makes some sense with regards to traction while accelerating, but the real thing to be concerned with is stopping, and you want all four tires working as hard for you as possible during that process.
You also want all four wheels with consistent grip. This helps in cornering AND stopping.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
You also want all four wheels with consistent grip. This helps in cornering AND stopping.
Add to this that everything I've read says to put thinner and smaller rims/tires on the car in the winter -- thinner so that there's a smaller surface area on the snow, allowing the car to sink in better and smaller.. well.. to be honest I'm not sure why probably just for less rim damage. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can shed some light there.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #19

I knew that everyone would say go with 4 tires/wheels but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the posts. I was looking at a recent TSB (Dec '05) and it shows winter tires to be the same size as the summer tires (rims also). BTW, it suggests only 2 tires for winter: Conti Winter Contact and Michelin Pilot Alpine -- any opinions out there?

Just a quick note about me -- I currently have an 03 Mercedes E320 and always had the dream of a 911 but those are too expensive for my wallet. Although the E320 has been "relatively" reliable, I don't think my good luck would hold out for another MB and I really don't like the SLK's which is MB's answer to a roadster -- the Boxster is perfect for me! At least that's what I've been telling my wife in addition that she'll inherit the E320

Thanks again.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #20

I have the conti contact whatever on my 18" boxster S rims and they work great...all 4 tires.....

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote