Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

I need a good porsche mechanic or dealer in new jersey

Can anyone recommend a good dealer or mechanic in NJ?
I have a 1999 Boxster with a problem that my local dealer can't seem to find.
My Boxster runs great 98% of the time, but it does decide to roll over and die at the worst times. No codes show, according to the dealer, and they can't duplicate the problem. That being said, the dealer only drove the car a total 15 miles. The car only has 60,000 miles on it. Sounds like it "dry heaves" when I step on the gas. If I roll into the gas slowly, it will get rolling, but has no performance at all. If I let it sit, it may run great untill it feels like giving up the ghost. I am fed up to say the least.
It is not running in "limp mode" when this happens, because the dealer can not find any codes.

PLEASE HELP ME! This car is a CHERRY except for this 1 rotten spot.

99boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Which part of jersey are u located there are some good mechanics in North jersey
DropTopVell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

If you can get to Rockaway, NJ PowerTech is great and I have all my service done there. I've heard great things about some of the other places that advertise in the NNJR-PCA local chapter magazine too - Bodymotion and Protosports.

RESOURCES
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

Hi guys,
quick thanks to both PaulE and DropTopVell for answering.
I live in central Jersey (Woodbridge).
Could use someone a little closer, car is not reliable now.
Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #5

Hmm, with no codes thrown it sounds like it could be a fueling issue. Just a suggestion, but start by crossing off the easy fixes like changing out the fuel filter. With 60k, are you sure it has ever been changed? If you still have the problem, then check out the fuel pump and regulator, make sure they are in spec. The way you described rolling on the throttle with no response sounds like you might not be getting enough fuel pressure or the pump isn't flowing enough fuel. Hope this helps as a good starting point at least.
99black986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

That's what I told the dealer! He said " with no codes, didn't want to throw money at it". I asked him to change the fuel filter while he had the car. Magically, the problem disappeared! Thanks for the suggestion, it was right on the money! I'm back to being a proud Porsche owner again!