Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Garage
Keep losing bulbs

My right rear brake light went out a few months ago and now in the past week I’ve lost both left rear running lights as well as the front left side indicator.

replacing all the bulbs now... do I have an electrical grimlin or is it just time for these to go

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

Garage
Had an electrical engineer friend come by and the side marker is a blown fuse
Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Had an electrical engineer friend come by and the side marker is a blown fuse
An old bulb filament tasting Jake's driving experience rev'ing at colder autumn temperature, feeling the new vibrations and slowly letting go in a short circuit style; is a great candidate for pooping up fuses

Can't think of anything else that could gremlin the lighting system in this car (my guess)

You and Speed will be just fine I'm sure. Good to check with the pros none the less
Old 09-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
MWS

Always best practice to change anything in pairs. Also, as a filament bulb ages, there could be a slight change in resistance, therefore to ensure equal across the circuit, change all on circuit. If nothing else (and fuse blows again), you can at least rule out bulbs as issue. While changing, also examine connectors to make sure there isn't wear that could cause a short. If this keeps happening, time to get out the multimeter...

Best wishes.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

Garage
Turns out all three were on the same circuit. After the rear main running light went then the peanut light blew the next night with the fuse. Bulb in side indicator was still good but the fuse was gone.

The EE girl was a great help and runs the electrical division on my Formula SAE team. All is well now. She brought a multimeter and everything.

I found it surprising all were on the same fuse but apparently your rear lights are “side lights.”

For future reference the rear bulbs are very easy to change in this car!