Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Drove a 2007 S today...

....on a lot at a local, reputable indy. Good to very good shape. 76K miles 6 speed, $17.5K asking.

My 2000 S has 133K miles and runs/drives great. I wanted to see if I could feel the difference of the 3.4 290Hp car vs. my car.

I really couldn't tell a big difference in performance. Now understand that my drive was in town but was representative of how I typically drive my car. I don't track any of my cars.

I liked the 987...it felt very solid and rattle free. Just don't know that I felt an $8-10K difference that the newer car would command. My comments are my perception of differences, not in any way a 'dis' of the newer car.

I kind of had the same reaction after driving a 2010 base last winter (90K miles) that was truly buyable for $16.5K

My take away is apparently, my driving style these days does not warrant the extra cost of the newer cars, or I need to go newer (981) to see if I feel I'm missing anything.

I did like the 987...who knows?

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

My .02....

....I am almost 50 years old.

I have owned a 1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata since new.

I have regularly attended track day events, auto crosses, etc.

I am an enthusiastic driver. I will always choose the more aggressive car.

My wife and I enjoy cross-country vacation drives. The Miata was just getting to be a bit too loud, a bit too rough, and with 325,768 miles on the clock, it was time for a replacement.

I went round and round and round from S2000 to Z4 to Boxster to SLK to Mustang to Elise, all of the roadsters and convertible sporty cars.

I test drove a 987 and I liked it.

Then I did some deep diving into the Boxster universe. I have a philosophy that the best cars are the ones designed by a core group of "True Believers" under some kind of duress and with clear targets for the car in mind.

Examples of cars like this are the first generation Miata, the 986 Boxster, the first generation S2000, and the Elise.

I also firmly believe that cars designed before the year 1995 are "better" for ME, because they were designed before the latest crash test and emissions laws kicked in, forcing cars the pass severe crash tests and clean burning rules, forcing thick doors, larger overall structures, airbags galore, and all the lean burning, clean burning EPA stuff.

I also like having a real spare tire and a real oil dipstick.

All of this led to me buying the best 986 I could find. I ended up buying a 2004 550 SE Boxster.

I absolutely LOVE HER!

Is the 987 better? Well, what IS better? Stiffer structure? Safer? More Tech? Yes, the 987 has all of that. Is THAT better? Not for me.

The 987 gives up a real spare tire and a real oil dip stick.

Without my real spare tire, I would not have made it home from Boxstoberfest in Fredericksburg, Texas last year.

With a real oil dipstick, I can visually inspect my engine oil. I can learn a LOT from the oil what is happening inside my engine.

My 986 is lighter, has REAL steering feedback, I like the style more, and this SE is just flat beautiful inside and out.

I have zero desire for a newer Boxster.

Park my 986 next to a 718, and my car can fit INSIDE the new car, they have gotten THAT big.

If I wanted a land yacht, I would have bought a muscle car. No thanks.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:22 AM   #3

The only time I wish I had more HP is when I'm at an HPDE. But the truth is I have so much to learn there and more HP might be a hindrance to my learning - I could be going faster and passing more cars, but not really getting better. My fantasy is to get a 981 Cayman S or GTS with PDK, PASM and all the bells and whistles and also keep my 2003 Boxster S with 6 speed and ROW M030 suspension!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
My fantasy is to get a 981 Cayman S or GTS with PDK, PASM and all the bells and whistles and also keep my 2003 Boxster S with 6 speed and ROW M030 suspension!
LIKE WISE BROTHA!!! LIKE WISE!!!
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
MWS

This may be controversial, but I prefer the interior of the 986 (or at least some aspects of)....the 987 is too "flat". Other than that, I ditto what 10/10ths said...in many respects, the 986 is a better car (or at least more fun).
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
I test drove a 987 and I liked it.

I also firmly believe that cars designed before the year 1995 are "better" for ME, because they were designed before the latest crash test and emissions laws kicked in, forcing cars the pass severe crash tests and clean burning rules, forcing thick doors, larger overall structures, airbags galore, and all the lean burning, clean burning EPA stuff.

I also like having a real spare tire and a real oil dipstick.

All of this led to me buying the best 986 I could find. I ended up buying a 2004 550 SE Boxster.

I absolutely LOVE HER!

Is the 987 better? Well, what IS better? Stiffer structure? Safer? More Tech? Yes, the 987 has all of that. Is THAT better? Not for me.

With a real oil dipstick, I can visually inspect my engine oil. I can learn a LOT from the oil what is happening inside my engine.

My 986 is lighter, has REAL steering feedback, I like the style more, and this SE is just flat beautiful inside and out.

I have zero desire for a newer Boxster.
Must say i agree with 90%.

I too have a 550 SE. But the 987s is pulling on my heart strings. Things i wish my 986 had are sport chrono and PCM2.
The only way i could jump into another boxster is if a sport design 2 or an rs60 appeared.

Otherwise i love my 986 and wouldn't consider anything else
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

As I mentioned in my original post, not pissing on 987's at all. I just wanted to compare and contrast.
Funny thing's I noticed in the newer car....
1. Still had foam blowing out vents, at least mine seems to have run out of foam at this point!
2. Although the 987 interior has a very nice look, Porsche continues to use that soft touch finish on trim. This car had a somewhat chewed up door sill and a few other spots. Not bad and overall the interior was in great shape, especially the seats. I wish the trim was made of something more robust to everyday use.
3. TPMS...Not interested in this feature at all. Seems like something that will simply be unreliable or need replacement at some point.
4. Car felt bigger. Not so big that it was hard to get use to, but when I got back in my 986 this afternoon, I really noticed the difference.

Here's the thing...The first time I drove a Boxster, a 20K mile 1999 model in 2001, I liked it but it really didn't blow me away. I had been driving a 99 M Roadster that I had just sold.

A few years later, 2005 or so, I test drive a 2003 S. I didn't make it more that a half mile or so before I thought "Holy crap, this is fun and I want one!" It took me 3 years before I bought my current car. It still blows me away and puts a smile on my face.

So far, I haven't had that same feeling from any newer cars I drove, including the one the other day. I just don't see the newer car being $10K better. YMMV.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:44 AM   #8
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

No...

...."Bashing" intended. I do NOT mean to come across as "bashing" the 987 or other newer cars either.

They ARE great cars.

They just are not better choices for ME and my biases on how things should work.

A couple of folks posted above about owning BOTH their 986 AND a late gen 981, that sounds good to me as well, but unfortunately, I'm not in that tax bracket.

One thing I wanted to comment on, is this notion that interior trim is so cheap and flimsy on the early Boxsters. I bought a 2004 "50 Years of 550 Spyder Edition" 986 Boxster S, and this car has a full leather interior. The only really flimsy trim is the coating on the door arm rest pocket covers, and the doors on the sun visors. All of the switch gear and everything else appears to be of high quality. I solved the arm rest door issue with $45 leather covers off eBay and am efforting a sun visor fix.

It wasn't until I met "Boxster Woody" in Bastrop, Texas that I discovered how cheap the early Boxster interiors were. I remember reading the complaints about that in "Road & Track" and such back in the late 90's, but FWIW, the 2003/4 Boxsters with the upgraded materials appear to be FAR better built.

So, if anyone out in forum world is searching for a 986, my two cents: Buy an '03/'04 model.

All the best!
Old 09-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

My comments on the interior is that that same soft touch cover on the items you mentioned are still used on the 987. As I've performed repairs on my car, I found it s so easy to scratch that type surface. Its very frustrating as I'm aware of it and try to be careful but can still scratch the stuff. That same stuff is used on around the windshield, gauges and console. I think it can really date cars and make it look like the owner didn't take care of their car, when in fact, they were really trying.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #10

One last thing regarding upgrading to a newer year used car.....

I know what I've done to my car. I know what is outstanding. No matter how nice a newer car is, I feel like I'd be somewhat starting from scratch on maintenance. Take the car I was looking at...It has 76K miles and not beat up at all. Thing is, no idea about water pump, thermostat and coolant. Hell, using OEM fluids (coolant and gear oil ) is a $200 bill without anything being broke!

Cheaper to keep her!
Old 10-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
My 2000 S has 133K miles and runs/drives great. I wanted to see if I could feel the difference of the 3.4 290Hp car vs. my car.

I really couldn't tell a big difference in performance. Now understand that my drive was in town but was representative of how I typically drive my car. I don't track any of my cars.

I liked the 987...it felt very solid and rattle free. Just don't know that I felt an $8-10K difference that the newer car would command. My comments are my perception of differences, not in any way a 'dis' of the newer car.

My take away is apparently, my driving style these days does not warrant the extra cost of the newer cars, or I need to go newer (981) to see if I feel I'm missing anything.
I test drove a 2006 Boxster S this afternoon. Very nice condition, optioned well, great color combination, 65K miles. The car was nice and tight; A/C was so cold I could've hung meat in there. Had a little more zip than my '99 Base, with monstrous 305s in the rear. 987 interior a nice step up from the 986.

My Boxster has 142K miles, still runs absolutely fantastic. I'm not ready to let her go just yet. But when I do, I would have no problem looking into a 987 Boxster, preferably a 987.2.

IMHO, the "$8-10K difference that the newer car would command" is quite reasonable, when you consider that you are getting a fresher car with 57K less miles (in your case) and 77K less miles (in my case).

BTW, a fellow PCA member has a 987.2 Boxster S with sports chrono and PDK with paddle shifters that is an absolute rocketship. Sale may be imminent, and I'm first on the list.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #12

Quote:
One last thing regarding upgrading to a newer year used car.....

I know what I've done to my car. I know what is outstanding. No matter how nice a newer car is, I feel like I'd be somewhat starting from scratch on maintenance. Take the car I was looking at...It has 76K miles and not beat up at all. Thing is, no idea about water pump, thermostat and coolant. Hell, using OEM fluids (coolant and gear oil ) is a $200 bill without anything being broke!

Cheaper to keep her!
I hear you. Catching up and ongoing maintenance on a newer car that is still used with some miles can be a big cost, especially if like me you don't do the hard stuff yourself. In my fantasy, the 981 S is certified pre-owned with relatively low miles. It is a fantasy after all!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

+1 on a 981S, manual. That might be just the ticket!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 AM   #14

Quote:
I did like the 987...who knows?
Well, I can probably chip in here as I have to own up. I bought a manual 987s just a month ago. Sadly my manual 986 base is for sale. I've probably spent way too much on it in the 3 years that I had it, spoiling it with a new IMS, brakes etc etc. It will always be special, there's nothing quite like the feeling of getting your first Porsche, and what a fantastic fun car it's been. As others have pointed out, it's real fun driving a slower car fast than the other way round. I'm in the Porsche club here, and it's been a blast thrashing the revs out of my 986 to keep up with the far newer and exotic stuff you get in the club. The 986 has never fallen behind. I've never tracked it, that may have been a different story. It's a real seat of the pants experience, you just can't beat it, especially for the money.

So, why a 987s? We do a lot with the Porsche club and the 986 was a bit of a toe in the water, not knowing what the costs of Porsche ownership would be like. As I've said I've spent a bit on the 986 but, it's never because it's let me down. I'm not getting any younger, nearly 57, and although P cars in Australia are really expensive I thought I'd get something newer with the intention of keeping it long term, maybe forever, especially after my test of a 718 that I posted about. I decided I wanted a really good 987s, or maybe a 981 base if I could stretch it. I had a look at one or two 981s but I'm not convinced about the seating position with the high gear stick. They always seem really big when you sit in them, even though they aren't really. My biggest issue though, is the complete lack of recent manual cars in Australia. Pretty much everything from 987.2 on is PDK in Aus. I wanted a manual. Not easy to find one at all, and late manuals actually sell for a premium as a result. I was intending to try and get a 987.2 if I could, but after 6 months of looking, this manual 987.1 s came up locally from a private seller. 2007, absolutely immaculate condition with only 50,000 kilometres on it.

It's Atlas Grey, and is pretty much what I was after apart from the 18 inch wheels. More later. So my initial impressions compared to the 986? It felt much heavier, bit like a GT car The ride was much smoother, partially because of the bigger profile tyres I assume, but much less coming back through the steering. I didn't start to push it on bends for the first few drives because I didn't feel very confident in it. Performance wise, obviously a lot more torque. So much in fact that revving the balls out of it isn't really necessary on normal roads. It's a different style of engine than the base 986 which loves to rev. The 987s is more like the 718 I drove in some aspects, but still miles better in that pushing the revs is actually fun. :dance: Now I've had it a few weeks, I'd say there is quite a big jump in performance, but not so much on the bends, if at all. It could probably do with more rubber.
Finally, is it more fun to drive? I'd say not really overall, but it is different. The grunt of the engine is certainly entertaining. The interior is also a step up for me so I've no complaints there.
Ahh yes the wheels. I've been agonising over what to do because I really like the look of 19s, especially the Carrera classics. This came with a brand new set of Bridgestones, which is hard to throw away. I've looked at all sorts of options, including aftermarkets like Victor wheels. I've found out that 19s however, weigh more and have a negative effect on performance, maybe small but there. 19s are also more likely to get rim damage from bad roads. That has happened twice to me with the 986, and it's really inconvenient and annoying. In the mean time, the stock 18s have grown on me somewhat, so I've decided to leave it for now. Nothing to do apart from enjoy the car!
I'm going to be so sad to see my 986 go, what a great car. Good luck and thanks to everyone here who's helped with information and advice!

Old 10-03-2017, 04:00 AM   #15
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Congrats!!!

Maybe invest in a set of very light 18’s?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Congrats!!!

Maybe invest in a set of very light 18’s?
I looked at others 18s as well. The BBS SRs look nice, but it turns out they’re really heavy. OZ make light 18s but the premium racing style wheels cost a fortune in Aus, like $850 a wheel. Very hard to justify for me. Definitely a first world problem though 😁
The stock S wheels I have are BBS and actually pretty light. One day 19s maybe.
Pominoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #17

The car looks great! I guess I should have added to my original post that I have three boys in college! As I look at (any) cars, a little voice in my head says "what the H_ll are you thinking"?

In two years, all school obligations should be done and I guess I could buy whatever I want.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #18

Quote:
The car looks great! I guess I should have added to my original post that I have three boys in college! As I look at (any) cars, a little voice in my head says "what the H_ll are you thinking"?

In two years, all school obligations should be done and I guess I could buy whatever I want.
Ha, yes case in point. My daughters are 21 and 19, but both working. FREE AT LAST!
or at least well on the way
Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pominoz View Post
Ha, yes case in point. My daughters are 21 and 19, but both working. FREE AT LAST!
or at least well on the way
No complaints. I've got 4 good dudes...Oldest is off the books with great electrical engineering job. One finishing business school in December, along with a future Aerospace and Electrical engineers about 1.5-2 years out.

One of those dudes ought to be able to take care of us at some point!