Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Volo
Posts: 33
convertible top strap mystery

I found this strap when I put the top in service position in the left side of the gutter just lying there. Bottom of the grey strap is attached to left corner bottom of the convertible to and I have no idea where the other end attaches to the top. Any one know where the other end of the strap attaches to the top?

also my top on exactly same spots on both sides where folds are fraying severely and i'm afraid it will wear though in no time.When I first bought the car in 5 months ago it wasn't worn this bad now since i used the top often it's worn quite a bit. Is this normal? I read one post this guy was having the problem but never posted update if he found the problem and mentioned possibly from tension cable.

Any input will be appreciated.










JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,444
The loose strap is to assist when you put the top in service mode. It stretches far enough to slip over the front of the driver's side top bow, keeping the bottom of the bottom portion of the top up and out of the way when working on the engine. There should be a patch of Velcro at the bottom of the top (on the inside) that you can hook the strap to when getting out of service mode.

Those wear marks are normal for Boxster tops.

It doesn't matter for this issue, but helps if you state what year and model (base or S) you have with future problems.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Volo
Posts: 33
[QUOTE=husker boxster;550674]The loose strap is to assist when you put the top in service mode. It stretches far enough to slip over the front of the driver's side top bow, keeping the bottom of the bottom portion of the top up and out of the way when working on the engine. There should be a patch of Velcro at the bottom of the top (on the inside) that you can hook the strap to when getting out of service mode.

Those wear marks are normal for Boxster tops.

It doesn't matter for this issue, but helps if you state what year and model (base or S) you have with future problems.[/QUOTE



03 Boxster base 5spd, I can't believe it has worn significantly in 5 months I operated the top roughly 15-20 times that seems excessive wear to me. When I bought the car hardly had any wears on the top. Oh well I suppose if it's normal nothing I can do but try not to use the top if all possible.

Thank you for your reply....
JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,348
You may find that the piece of Velcro at the base of the back of the convertible top frame has come unglued where it belongs and is stuck to the strap. Use some good contact cement like Barge Cement and glue the Velcro back where you see some glue on the bottom of the top frame. For what it's worth, those wear marks come from having the top down. If you've had the top down a lot during your ownership that is a byproduct. I bought my 03 S new in 2003. The top looked great until about 4 years ago when I bought a hard top and had it mounted for the first winter I had it. When I took the hard top off in the Spring, I had wear marks like those for the first time.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Volo
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
You may find that the piece of Velcro at the base of the back of the convertible top frame has come unglued where it belongs and is stuck to the strap. Use some good contact cement like Barge Cement and glue the Velcro back where you see some glue on the bottom of the top frame. For what it's worth, those wear marks come from having the top down. If you've had the top down a lot during your ownership that is a byproduct. I bought my 03 S new in 2003. The top looked great until about 4 years ago when I bought a hard top and had it mounted for the first winter I had it. When I took the hard top off in the Spring, I had wear marks like those for the first time.
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about it would be helpful if there is a picture of this but I will lift the rear convertible top up in service mode and see if there is glue on the bottom of the convertible frame. If I just leave this strap the way it is won't affect anything will it? maybe I'm still not understanding still what you re saying.

If anyone can post a photo of rear convertible top showing piece of Velcro at the base of the back of the convertible top frame would be GREAT.

Thanks for your input
JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,348
It won't hurt anything if you just leave it, I have no idea how long mine went unglued! Here's my thread from last year when I discovered this strap and found the velcro had come unglued -

Question on convertible top strap for service position

And here's a picture of the strap I found on Google, this is probably from the owner's manual. (I've never read mine either!) I would have taken a picture of my car, but I'm a bit under the weather today.
Attached Images
 
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,192
Amazing!!

I've replaced 4 Boxster convertible tops, two canvas only and two top and frame. I've also had my top in service position many times for various maintenance and repairs.

I've never seen that strap!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,185
Garage
I do not have a strap either, or it is hiding extremely well. I think it may have been a later addition.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Froggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rangiora NZ
Posts: 64
Well I'll be , i've done this many times and never seen the strap , I've always used a cord to do the same thing . Tomorrow morning i'm going to look for the strap , many thanks for that info .
Peter
__________________
2000 Triple Black Boxster S
2017 Subaru Outback Grey
Froggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 AM   #10
01101
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Amazing!!

I've replaced 4 Boxster convertible tops, two canvas only and two top and frame. I've also had my top in service position many times for various maintenance and repairs.

I've never seen that strap!
Looks like its just on the 03 and later with glass windows.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Looks like its just on the 03 and later with glass windows.
That's right, it is only on 2003 and 2004 986's. I believe it is also on all 987's.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Volo
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
It won't hurt anything if you just leave it, I have no idea how long mine went unglued! Here's my thread from last year when I discovered this strap and found the velcro had come unglued -

Question on convertible top strap for service position

And here's a picture of the strap I found on Google, this is probably from the owner's manual. (I've never read mine either!) I would have taken a picture of my car, but I'm a bit under the weather today.
Thank you for the photos & links , definitely know where it goes now. Unfortunately previous owner didn't have the owner's manual. On e bay they want too much for owner manual.
JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC IN IL View Post
Thank you for the photos & links , definitely know where it goes now. Unfortunately previous owner didn't have the owner's manual. On e bay they want too much for owner manual.
If you want an owner's manual, contact Woody - username Itsnotanova here on the forum, he will have the best price if he has one.

Since you have a 2003, if you have the original radio and when you have it on, it periodically beeps and flashes "No TP" on the screen, I can tell you how to disable that - it's not in any of the manuals, that's one of the few things I scoured the manuals to find, and finally found the answer on another forum!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Volo
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If you want an owner's manual, contact Woody - username Itsnotanova here on the forum, he will have the best price if he has one.

Since you have a 2003, if you have the original radio and when you have it on, it periodically beeps and flashes "No TP" on the screen, I can tell you how to disable that - it's not in any of the manuals, that's one of the few things I scoured the manuals to find, and finally found the answer on another forum!
Previous owner put in Pioneer radio w/navagation.

Thanks
JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC IN IL View Post
Previous owner put in Pioneer radio w/navagation.

Thanks
You're lucky with that, in a 2003 with the fiber optic MOST buss, it is a much bigger job to swap radios than in earlier year Boxsters, although now there are some adaptors available!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Volo
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
You're lucky with that, in a 2003 with the fiber optic MOST buss, it is a much bigger job to swap radios than in earlier year Boxsters, although now there are some adaptors available!

Previous owner had installed my guess is from best buy or radio shop.

Also has micro phone installed at the steering column cover.

JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page