Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

One side brake lights out???

Hello everybody.

Coming from a restored 1986 BMW 325es, 290K. Caught the Porsche bug. For sale: 1 BMW. :dance:

Just purchased a 98 Boxster. When I Purchased it, all good.

I share this story because I believe it will save people a lot of time. I hope.

Day after the purchase I noticed a couple bulbs out in the driver brake housing. OK. Looked up the bulb numbers... ran to the store... grabbed the bulbs... put them in. OK... now 1 wasn't working. Ran a few more bulbs through the socket. ZERO. Entire rear out. I kept trying bulbs. ZERO. Ran through the forum, and others... and they pretty much had the same advice: 1 fuse for entire rear lights. Thus, if one side isn't working... it's from the fuse-box back. OK. But I'm thinking: it's a light bulb. I didn't yank anything, breaking a ground. OK.

Yes, I had checked the fuse. Good. Tested it twice.

So this morning I go out to visit the light problem... but not before first installing the clear side-markers that just arrived. The driver's side marker light was out. Checked the bulb... two of them... checked the voltage: not good.

However, I told myself... being an optimist: That's good. Yes, odd.

So... I return to the fuse box and figure, hmmm... side-marker fuse burnt out. 2.5 amps, so, back to the store.

Plugged that baby in. Boom! LOL. :dance:

So... I take no credit for this. I spent years on the Roadfly BMW forum when I restored the 86 (that was from 2005 through 2006). So... it has been members like you gals and guys who have blazed the trail towards finding new fixes.

Anyhow, thank you, and see you around.

Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote