Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to deveramis
Dead Boxster Amplifier

I lost audio to my 2003 Boxster, and I took it in to the dealership. They explained that I blew my amplifier. They also stated that I would have to pay $800 for a new amplifer. I do have the Bose Sound System installed, and from what I understand in order for me to put an aftermarket amp, I would have to put everything else as after market (replace bose speakers, cd deck, etc.)

The part # I need is 996.645.333.02. Any ideas of what my next step should be? I really do not want to spend $800 on a factory amp.

deveramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
boggtown

Why would you need a new set of speakers? To be honest, I would go down to the best car audio place and tell them you want an amp and if they could wire it for you. All it does is amplify what the cd player tells it, everything should work fine as long as your running the same resistance (ie. 2 ohms, 4 ohms). I would get a kicker amp or JL. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SJKHfpwg6G1/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=120&avf=Y
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #3

....or Im not sure if its the same or not but I have a factory amp I dont use. Interested? Mine is a 99 so I dont know if its a different connection or not. Take a pic of the amp and I will compare it to mine.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveramis
I lost audio to my 2003 Boxster, and I took it in to the dealership. They explained that I blew my amplifier. They also stated that I would have to pay $800 for a new amplifer. I do have the Bose Sound System installed, and from what I understand in order for me to put an aftermarket amp, I would have to put everything else as after market (replace bose speakers, cd deck, etc.)

The part # I need is 996.645.333.02. Any ideas of what my next step should be? I really do not want to spend $800 on a factory amp.
Send this part number to:

www.sunsetporsche.com
www.suncoastporsche.com

....and check their pricing. Maybe you can DIY once you have the part.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to deveramis

Its a definite DIY. It seems that I just plug in the cables and screw it to the trunk. Here are pictures of my amplifier.
deveramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
bmussatti

I think you can buy a new own from those sources for about $665.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #7

Ok, dont spend 7-8 hundred bucks. Let me go get a pic of mine. The wife came home so I was a little thrown off track.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #8

Guess its different, I tried.