Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #1

Garage
Z-art top Install

I ordered a Z-art top from Hong Kong a few months ago. Here are a few pics of where I am at so far. The top comes in two parts and it seems like they were made by different suppliers. The main (or forward) portion of the hardtop has quite a few imperfections and inconsistent symmetry. The hatch portion of the hardtop is incredibly well crafted for a fiberglass piece. (Please excuse the panel gap, my oem spin locks have not arrived yet)

I am still planning to wrap my entire car gloss brown metallic in few months, so the single-stage black (garage) paint job will get wrapped over soon enough.

ExRallyXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #2

Very nice!
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Handsome

Did you paint it yourself ??

THis seems to be the most foreboding part to me.....I would like to have my hood repainted but $600 for a respray for that tiny piece of metal seems really high. I cant imagine what it would cost to have that painted to match
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks guys. Yeah, I painted it myself in my garage. I have a decent hvlp gun and a compressor with lots of volume and a water/oil filter. It's not a professional paint job, but at least it's not too orange-peely, and will eventually serve as a good basis for a wrap.

If you get a z-art top I would plan for a decent amount of prep work because there are numerous little blemishes in the gelcoat. Also, keep in mind that garage paint jobs are never 100% dust free.

Last edited by ExRallyXer; 09-03-2017 at 09:40 PM.
ExRallyXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Looks great. Permanent install?
I am still fighting with every mm I can get for the hatch to have a perfect gap between the rear spoiler. And yes...there is not a single bit, which does not need detail work or modifications.
What glue did you use for the front and side window rubber sealings?
FYI...the windows can be adjusted underneath the doors. There is a rubber grommet which can be popped off. I think it is described in the Bentley service manual.
How about squeaks while driving?

P.S.: Cool exhaust tip