Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
boggtown

Temperature Gauge

I've heard you guys say "my car never goes over 190" etc... and I was wondering where 190 would be. I mean this in relation to the needle, as in the middle of the 0 in 180, or touching the 0. Thanks, I have just always wondered the exact calibration of the temperature. Maybe someday I will get a gauge pod, then I will have all kinds of good info at my disposal.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #2

Most manufacturers design their temp gauges to read dead-center for a good twenty-degree range it seems. If your gauge ever reads above the middle, it's time to start paying very close attention!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Most manufacturers design their temp gauges to read dead-center for a good twenty-degree range it seems. If your gauge ever reads above the middle, it's time to start paying very close attention!

This is true. Most guages will stay at center even though the actual coolant temp is fluctuating.

I get worried when the need is north of 220 or so.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 AM   #4

Someone else on the list posted something about our temp gauges being actually accurate in our cars, which means we will see variances that say, an American car won't have because a hotter than normal temp reading freaks out soccer moms.

I know my cooling system is in good shape, and that both radiators work, I have no coolant leaks, etc. However, I also see my temp needle staying between the 1 and the 8 a lot of the time, but when I am sitting in 95 degree Houston traffic, it climbs to the middle of the 0 and sometimes moves to the right of the 0. It never moves further than that though.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
boggtown

Thanks. BTW mine is usually between the 8 and 0, or on the 0 in the front.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I've heard you guys say "my car never goes over 190" etc... and I was wondering where 190 would be. I mean this in relation to the needle, as in the middle of the 0 in 180, or touching the 0.
Touching the left side of the 0 is 195. I think most people are just guessing it's 190, but if you hook up an OBDII reader it shows 195 at that point and 205 at the other side of the 0.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #7

Hi,

Those owners with pre-'00 Cars (and maybe a few '00 models) can access actual coolant temp (in °C) through the diagnostic mode of the AC Central Display. To do this, Hold down the Recirculating and Air Up buttons for 5 sec. The + & - buttons will scroll through a list of 'C' codes. The Center Vent button switches between the 'C' code and the actual value. Press Auto to exit the Diagnostics mode. 'C' code - 1c = Oil Temp, 6c = Coolant Temp. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Cant wait to try that out, Thanks alot for the info, is there a 2c 3c 4c 5c between 1c and 6c? if so what are they for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Those owners with pre-'00 Cars (and maybe a few '00 models) can access actual coolant temp (in °C) through the diagnostic mode of the AC Central Display. To do this, Hold down the Recirculating and Air Up buttons for 5 sec. The + & - buttons will scroll through a list of 'C' codes. The Center Vent button switches between the 'C' code and the actual value. Press Auto to exit the Diagnostics mode. 'C' code - 1c = Oil Temp, 6c = Coolant Temp. Hope this helps...

CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Cant wait to try that out, Thanks alot for the info, is there a 2c 3c 4c 5c between 1c and 6c? if so what are they for?
Hi,

There are 36 'C' codes available through the Climate Control Display (made by Audi) ranging from outside temp, sun sensor temp, true vehicle speed, various voltages to fans and the like to engine RPMs. Search the threads, I've listed them before - too numerous to keep posting...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-25-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #10

OH MAN Ill search now for it, I did check out the 6c code and when my temp needle was settled between the 8 and 0, the digital read out was 93.....does that stand for 193?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
OH MAN Ill search now for it, I did check out the 6c code and when my temp needle was settled between the 8 and 0, the digital read out was 93.....does that stand for 193?
Hi,

No, the Climate Control Diagnostic reads in °C only - A simple method to convert °C to °F is to double the °C and add 30, so 93°C = 216°F - (93°C * 2 = 186 + 30 = 216°F).

The basic thing about Coolant Temp is that you want to keep it liquid as this will carry away the most heat and the liquid Coolant will flow to all the surfaces within the water jackets, Steam, a gas will not. This is why Cooling Systems are pressurized, because Coolant will remain a liquid at temps higher than standard (STP) boiling point. Water boils at 212°F, with the 13psi cap it boils at 245-250°F, with 50% antifreeze it boils at 265°F and at 70% antifreeze it boils at 276°F.

But, remember, your Oil carries away 60% of all the heat the engine produces, this is just as important a temperature value as the coolant. That said, 216°F is a little on the high side (not fatally, but high) for normal conditions. Make sure both your fans are working (turn on AC) and that both radiators are free of debris (a common problem). No two cars are exactly the same, so some variation is normal.

The only reason Temp is important below 240°F is that some ECUs (DME in Porsche Parlance) will go into Closed Loop operation at a pre-set temp, I haven't reasearched how or at what temp the Boxster does this. Hope this helps...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-25-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #12

ok i see, Well its hot as hell here, but the funny thing about my temp being 216 is that it reads that when the needle is barely touching the 0...ill try hosing down the radiators and maybe the radiator that someone here says is in the passenger side air vent.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
boggtown

My car is running about 100 celsius, or 212 F. And I looked on the forums for the c codes, and heres a link. http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4166&highlight=Climate+Control+Display
Old 07-25-2006, 09:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

. That said, 216°F is a little on the high side (not fatally, but high) for normal conditions. Make sure both your fans are working (turn on AC) and that both radiators are free of debris (a common problem). No two cars are exactly the same, so some variation is normal.
just trying to ease your worries a little. jim mentioned a quick calculation for celsius to farenheit and probably just ran with that number.

but you are actually running under 200 degrees. Faranheit = (1.8*celsius +32) don't know if that is still high?

but coming from a bimmer, i am constantly worried about cooling systems so just wanted to mention that.
2kwiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #15

Quote:
ok i see, Well its hot as hell here, but the funny thing about my temp being 216 is that it reads that when the needle is barely touching the 0...ill try hosing down the radiators and maybe the radiator that someone here says is in the passenger side air vent.
Hi,

No Radiator in Passenger Side vent! This is an opening for an exhaust/cooling fan - you do not want to be shooting water in ther indiscriminately...

Old 07-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwiq
just trying to ease your worries a little. jim mentioned a quick calculation for celsius to farenheit and probably just ran with that number.

but you are actually running under 200 degrees. Faranheit = (1.8*celsius +32) don't know if that is still high?

but coming from a bimmer, i am constantly worried about cooling systems so just wanted to mention that.

Hi,

Yes, you are correct, I was using the quick-check method. Actual Temp is 199.4°F. Agree you method is exact, the other just a quik chek...