Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #1

Driver airbag life expectancy?

I own a beautiful (mint) 98' Boxster with only 69M miles on it and was wondering about the almost 20 year old explosive airbag in the steering wheel staring me in the face. Is there a life expectancy to the driver steering wheel airbag? I certainly don't want it to suddenly go off in my face while driving without a reason.

What are others with older cars doing? (forget about it?, replace it? remove or disconnect it? (if even legal).....or what?)

Thanks

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #2

In normal use, air bags and their ignitors do not have a life expectancy or service interval.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Older Mercedes used to have expiration decals on the driver's door jamb for the airbags. However, their tech bulletins have effectively negated expiration dates on airbags for normal usage.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Yep...

...what they said. Porsche used to have an "Inspect every ten year" policy and after they had enough data over the years they found out they really have an indefinite life span. The propellant in our vehicles is VERY stable. Much different than the cheap Takata propellant that is causing all of the massive recalls and several fatalities.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Also, remember that airbags are "suplemental restraints" and are there to protect folks who do NOt wear their seat belts. If you always buckle up, you could easily remove the airbags and be just as safe. Maybe go Momo.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Also, remember that airbags are "suplemental restraints" and are there to protect folks who do NOt wear their seat belts. If you always buckle up, you could easily remove the airbags and be just as safe. Maybe go Momo.
That isn't true, unfortunately. It might be closer to true with a 4 point harness and HANS device.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4366828/

Do Airbags Save More Lives than Seatbelts? | Automobile Magazine
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #7

Garage
I'm with Disaster on this -- airbags are intended to "supplement" the use of seatbelts.
https://ohsonline.com/articles/2008/03/study-airbag-use-without-seatbelt-increases-injury-risk.aspx
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies.....much appreciated!
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I'm not going to argue....

......But USA federal law requires the auto crash tests to be performed WITHOUT Seat Belts. The ONLY reason there are airbags in cars in the USA is to conform to the federal crash test laws. If you wear a three point belt, you don't need airbags.

Now,you can argue that SIDE airbags help prevent head and thorax injury in a side collision and I'd go along with that. But an airbag inside your steering wheel is not necessary if you buckle up.

Disaster, did you actually READ the two studies you linked? Neither claims seat belts without airbags are "more dangerous" than seat belts with airbags. They simply state that seat belts AND airbags are better than airbags alone. But say nothing about seat belts alone WITHOUT airbags, except the second article when they discuss side impacts.

Here's a nice article about the law:

Aaron Robinson: Why Are The Feds Bending Over Backward for the Unbelted? - Column - Car and Driver

And here is the statute itself:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.208

Cheers.

Last edited by 10/10ths; 08-29-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

Disaster, did you actually READ the two studies you linked? Neither claims seat belts without airbags are "more dangerous" than seat belts with airbags. They simply state that seat belts AND airbags are better than airbags alone. But say nothing about seat belts alone WITHOUT airbags, except the second article when they discuss side impacts.
Yes I did. Did you? The first article compares the outcome of the passenger with only a seatbelt vs. the driver with a seatbelt AND airbag. The second article talks about improved crash outcomes with airbags vs. seatbelts alone.

You are absolutely right that airbags were created to meet mandatory safety restraint laws. However, they ended up doing much more than that. They ended up protecting people who wear seatbelts as well. For one thing they reduce deceleration g-force during head-on collisions. Side airbags are a totally different thing, but also hugely beneficial in a side crash.

You and your passenger WILL be considerably safer with your airbags operating in your Boxster.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

Back to the original question, my '03 S has this label on the passenger door jamb that says the airbags have to be inspected by a Porsche dealer at 4 years, 8 years and every 2 years thereafter. If you' e never experienced one going off, it's a good thing. Your throat and sinuses have a gunpowder taste that stays with you for at least a day.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
My roommate looked like a raccoon for weeks, after the airbag pushed her glasses into her face in an accident.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote