Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #1

Crossover fuel line

I want to replace the fuel line that connects the two fuel rails. What can I use other than OEM ? What ID is it ?

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:52 AM   #2

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I'm curious why you would want to replace it?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I'm curious why you would want to replace it?
One of the PO must have cut it to remove left intake ? I started to smell fuel so I looked for a leak. The person put a union and two hose clamps to re-join it. It was hidden behind a piece of black flexible wire tubing ? Hence the need to replace. I`ve looked at it numerous times and I thought the flex tubing was OEM ? I read I don`t need OEM part but it didn`t have the dia. I want to get it before I cut the old one out.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Old 08-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
One of the PO must have cut it to remove left intake ? I started to smell fuel so I looked for a leak. The person put a union and two hose clamps to re-join it. It was hidden behind a piece of black flexible wire tubing ? Hence the need to replace. I`ve looked at it numerous times and I thought the flex tubing was OEM ? I read I don`t need OEM part but it didn`t have the dia. I want to get it before I cut the old one out.
You cannot buy just the OEM flex line, it only comes with the rails. These lines are single use barbed fitting lines in a metric size that is hard to come by.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You cannot buy just the OEM flex line, it only comes with the rails. These lines are single use barbed fitting lines in a metric size that is hard to come by.
Hey Jeff; Would the line by chance be a -6AN line or such? Summit/Jegs has the twist lok line that is designed for use with slip type AN fittings as in the link attached and are designed for high pressure.

Hose

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-634153/overview/

Fitting

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-8090-06b

Last edited by 911monty; 08-24-2017 at 02:52 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Hey Jeff; Would the line by chance be a -6AN line or such? Summit/Jegs has the twist lok line that is designed for use with slip type AN fittings as in the link attached and are designed for high pressure.

Hose

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-634153/overview/

Fitting

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-8090-06b
No, not even close. In order to use AN fittings and lines, you would need to cut both rails and weld in AN type fittings, and then convert the flex line to AN. By the time you did all that, it would cost more than a replacement rail set.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

Garage
I didn't mean to use AN fittings, I was wondering if the new style twist lok hose that is designed for slip fittings would work on the rails slip fittings? I measured some -6AN hose and the id is 8mm.

Edit: the link I attached shows the barbed fitting the hose attaches to. It does not utilize the outer nut and inner sleeve as on conventional AN fittings and is designed functionally the same as the fuel rail hose. So if the id is right

Last edited by 911monty; 08-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
I didn't mean to use AN fittings, I was wondering if the new style twist lok hose that is designed for slip fittings would work on the rails slip fittings? I measured some -6AN hose and the id is 8mm.

Edit: the link I attached shows the barbed fitting the hose attaches to. It does not utilize the outer nut and inner sleeve as on conventional AN fittings and is designed functionally the same as the fuel rail hose. So if the id is right
That is a big "if". The hose and barbs on the injector rails are designed to work under heat and at fairly decent pressures without sleeves or clamps of any type, and are specifically not designed to be taken apart and put back together again. It does not take much of a fuel leak this system to quickly reduce an otherwise fine car to scrap metal, so I would want to know that any replacement parts are at least as durable ad the factory part. But as the man said, "it is your car and your money".................
Old 08-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #9

I might have a fuel rail. Year?
Old 08-25-2017, 05:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I might have a fuel rail. Year?
99 2.5 tip Woody.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #11

I have a 99 fuel rail if u need it
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #12

Fixed. My Indy removed the old line. Replaced it with HP fuel hose and two HP clamps. Same as what Wayne Dempsey did in his book 101 Projects. FYI the fitting on the rail is 10 mm. The hose he used was 9.5 . With some lube and a firm hand it went on. Pressure is fine . Replaced the fuel filter as well . All good no smell.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold