Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Center console storage bin won't open

Hi, recently picked up a 97 boxster and the storage bin at the back of the center console (where your elbow rests while driving) will not open. Mine does not have a key lock just a button but when i push it nothing happens. I have no idea how to get it open and i am looking to swap shifters and e-brake handles so will need to get in there to unscrew the console.

Any ideas? i know later models i looked at had a key hole where i have a button to lock the bin but this one does not. Appreciate any help!

Thanks

dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
A couple of suggestions; push down on the lid while pushing the button, then try the reverse, gently pulling up while pushing the button. If there is a bunch of stuff jammed in there, it might be loading the latch. I wonder if you pull the ash tray if you can some access and or put a camera probe into the cavity?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #3

Thanks, i have tried pulling, pushing, prying, etc with no luck. I feel like if i pull any harder it will just snap the latch. I just got the car so the console is empty, there is nothing in it i just want to be able to open it and get access to the screws at the bottom really.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #4

Is it locked?
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
Mine does not have a key lock just a button but when i push it nothing happens.
Are we not paying attention?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Are we not paying attention?
Yup

But someone could have messed with it and taken the lock out leaving it locked. I've not seen or been in another boxster yet that didn't have the lock there.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
I am No. 1348

Garage
Can you reach a red tube/nozzle of DW40 and spray it in by the latch to get it loose?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

Yeah seems odd to not have a lock, I have a 97 with almost no options but even it has a lock. You might also try removing the handbrake cover insert, just snaps out towards you, if you have small hands you might be able to get in the back through the gap there.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #9

Update, i was tired of fiddling so decided to dig deeper and i removed the "button" that wasn't functioning. Turns out it looks to me as though at some point the tumbler was removed and replaced with a black plastic cap to cover the hole. Once i realized the tumbler was removed i knew the bin was locked and wouldnt just open so i yanked it open.

Surprisingly nothing was broken, i removed the pin on the lid that the locking mechanism clips over and now i have a functioning storage bin that doesn't lock and requires no button push at all. i guess that is just how it will have to be!

Last edited by dav9515; 08-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #10

I made the mistake of locking mine once

A burglar broke went into my car (which was unlocked) and destroyed my cubby and cover to get to nothing....now I never leave anything of value in my car at home and the door unlocked. It's a pretty sure thing if the doors had been locked he would have cut my top open to get at still nothing
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
Update, i was tired of fiddling so decided to dig deeper and i removed the "button" that wasn't functioning. Turns out it looks to me as though at some point the tumbler was removed and replaced with a black plastic cap to cover the hole. Once i realized the tumbler was removed i knew the bin was locked and wouldnt just open so i yanked it open.
To That986, you are vindicated, and I stand corrected!

Having never been in any Boxster other than the one I drive every chance I get (mine!), I had no idea if they all had locks in the center console storage or not.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote