Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
2001 Boxster S 6sp

Coolant - Don't know what's in my Boxster

I'm going on ownership now for 2 years. Sure I've checked the coolant level and it's always been right at the min mark. And it appears to be yellowish/green. I'm in AZ and it has always run at the proper temp. Right around 190. Even when it's over 100 outside. Recently had my clutch done by an Indy and on the way home the coolant warning light was flashing. Stopped just about when I got home. Coolant level was not at the Min mark anymore. Now, I'm at the delimma of not knowing what coolant is really in my Boxster to top it off. Should I top it off with the yellow/green coolant type or take it in and get the system flushed and the proper coolant put in?

1969 Morgan 4/4 1600 (PO)
Chboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #2

Garage
Use distilled water for now. Don't take a chance and mix
I was in the same predicament as well. Mine also had greenish coolant and was afraid to mix. I just topped of with distilled water until I did a flush and refill with Porsche Pink
I believe that Porsche changed their life long coolant from green to pink somewhere in the mid 2000s
Old 08-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 on the distilled water for now. I would also like to suggest that you pull up the carpet in the trunk and check around for moisture.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #4

Sounds like you have a cooling system leak. I had the same thing 2 months ago and in my case it was the water pump bearing that was starting to go.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

Begs the question why are you driving around with your coolant on the min mark all the time in the first place?
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
2001 Boxster S 6sp

Thought I would come back and mention this. As someone suggested I topped off with distilled water to the mid point between min and max. Flipped open the vent and drove around 2 days. Level stayed at the mid point. Closed the vent and since then the coolant level has stayed in the mid point. Don't understand how that worked really especially when I have had the Boxster checked for leaks and there is never a drop of anything on my garage floor. Since the level is stable I was able to check with a hydrometer and all is good. The only thing I would note is that coolant level went way down right after I had a new clutch installed. I have no leaks in my trunk. Thanks for all your input!
1969 Morgan 4/4 1600 (PO)
Chboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

I have found this guy's videos funny and informative and this one is on this very subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkoxlm6mzI

I have slowly, painfully, and expensively been coming around to only using Porsche stuff if at all possible.

Just my .02

Hope this helps.

There are a lot of very smart and kind people on this board.

Last edited by robdelorenzo; 09-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote