Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Spoiler warning light

I need some advice regarding the spoiler warning light. I have done a bit of research on various forums but can not seem to get to the bottom of this annoyance.
Light comes on intermittently while I am driving the car. The spoiler remains operational with the under dash button. It will go up and down while the light is on.
If I turn the car off the light goes off next time the car is started. It comes on after I drive the car for a while.
I checked the relays, fuses, cleaned the switch.
Not sure where to go next.
Is the microswitch in the trunk possibly defective?
Is this a speed sensor problem?
I have no codes on my OBD reader.
Any thoughts?

Dandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #2

This problem just started happening on my 02 Base, as well.
I will keep my eyes peeled for when those who know start responding.
Thanks!
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #3

Light on means a problem somewhere in the system as whole. Do you have a Durametric available for a scan? I can't recall its capabilities for spoiler diagnostics.......spoiler working fine with light coming on logically points me to travel limit signals....
Old 06-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

I don’t have a Duramteric to use for diagnosis.
My light seems to be intermittent, as well.
Sometimes it stays on after the spoiler has been retracted, other times not.
No rhyme nor reason, from what I can tell.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #5

No Durametric either but I have ordered a Launch scanner. Might provide an answer as to what is malfunctioning.
I will post any findings.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #6

Garage
I just finished repairing my spoiler after encountering some of the same symptoms as described. There is a reason Porsche doesn't offer parts for the mechanical assembly. It is very difficult to repair and the replacement is also expensive. Due to the heat and age in the trunk, the plastic posts that retain the micro switches for extend and retract positions can sometimes break or stretch out of position. This will give you the dash light issues due to never making the switch in either position. After investigating the cost of replacement, I decided to dive into it. What did I have to loose. Replacements are around $1,300.00. I was able to mechanically reposition and mount my switches with 4-40 pan head screws and nuts, and solved the problem. There are gear reduction drives with cable and rack gears in the assembly. Be careful if you try this repair and keep parts oriented properly because some are not interchangeable. I should have detailed this repair with pictures for everyone else, but I can probably do the job now in a couple hours.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #7

Garage
I don't think the Durametric scan will help. It will just tell you that you have a spoiler fault, which the dash is already telling you with the warning light. I have the enthusiast version of Durametric and find it extremely helpful in understanding the condition of you car and highly recommend it.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #8

Thanks much for the info.
I guess next step is to tackle the microswitches.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #9

......or put a piece of black tape over the light.......
Old 06-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #10

Garage
Dandan, After you get the assembly out, take your time disassembling. Take the motor drive off first, and slowly un-clip the glass re-enforced plastic clam shell. You will find inside spring loaded push-pull cables attached to plastic rack gears. If any of the gears are striped...The assembly is toast. I was lucky. It's a real PITA.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #11

Garage
Robdelarenzo... I wanted to just clip the wires after I found out how much replacements cost. Even looked at aftermarket wing spoilers locked in the up position. Add that piece of black tape and viola!
Maybe the repair will last a couple more years before I have to result to alternatives.
Repair didn't really cost me anything but time and frustration, gains were knowledge, confidence and the feeling of shyt ya I can fix that.
Waiting for my motor to blow up now...