Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #1

Garage
P1124 & P1126 Codes What to look for with Durametric?

I have a 1998 Boxster 2.5 with @ 110,000 miles and had those codes show up. They came up the second trip in the car after I noticed a little surging at idle. I have cleared the codes. Then hooked up the Durametric. I see no pending codes - but the idle still surges. I can't hear any air leaks with the engine cover off. I haven't cleaned the MAF yet. The AOS is likely original. However there was no change in idle when removing the oil cap and strong suction can be heard. Placing my hand directly over the oil filler showed no change. I check the gas cap and that looks great - no cracking around the oring.

What should I be looking for using the Durametric as far as items to graph and view?

Thanks - Brett

Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #2

Your comments about no idle change and strong suction tells me you probably need to start with the AOS. The best diagnostics for the AOS is to used a digital manometer connected to an oil fill cap to measure the vacuum level, which should never exceed five inches of water (a relatively weak vacuum signal).
Old 08-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #3

JFP's great recommendation is not expensive.
I got my slightly used ,Pyle digital Manometer "PDMM01" for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Meters-PDMM01-Digital-Manometer-Measure/dp/B005FU5HFI
I bought a new oil filler cap.The old one was used to modify for a 1/8" tube fitting.Search for details/photo.
Hopefully you will seldom use the tool. But when you do, the information is invaluable and easy to read.
Replacing an AOS is a tedious job but if it was unnecessary ..... grr.
If you do catch an AOS failure early, there is less oil to clean out of the intake system.
Let us know how it works out and good luck !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Your comments about no idle change and strong suction tells me you probably need to start with the AOS. The best diagnostics for the AOS is to used a digital manometer connected to an oil fill cap to measure the vacuum level, which should never exceed five inches of water (a relatively weak vacuum signal).
Thank you for the input. I had the symptoms backwards thinking no change in idle meant it was OK.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

Garage
I just got round to installing a new AOS. The install went quickly and easily. I used the right tool to remove the spring clamps. I installed a new tube that feeds the throttle body rather than clean the oil out of the old one. The coolest thing about the process was using the new spring clamp for the lower bellows. I bought all of the parts from Pelican including a new spring clamp. Installation of the new spring clamp was the coolest part. It had a blue clip on it that holds it open. Slide the bellows with the spring clamp in place. Pull the blue clip and the clamp closes. No messing with pliers to set the clamp - almost eliminating the chance to tear the bellows or set it out of place. Literally it only took a moment to install that bellows. That is not something mentioned in any of info I read on the installation and was the best $2.25 I might have ever spent for a Porsche part.

Part #: 999-512-630-00-M219

Oil Separator Hose Clamp 99951263000 - Mubea - Porsche - 999-512-630-00 | Pelican Parts

I did not yet run any additional diagnostics to determine if the problem has resolved.

Last edited by BFeller; 09-15-2017 at 08:25 PM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:04 AM   #6

Did you say your idle surges? My 02 986 idle was surging anywhere from 800-1000 rpm. I cleaned the MAF and throttle body and this solved the idle surging issue.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I just recently had to sort these two codes out. My indy hooked up a smoke generator and found a vacuum hose disconnected up under the all of the intake bits. Reattached and knock on wood, they haven't come back.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote