Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #1

Any danger in being a garage queen?

I bought my Box about 7 months ago to use as my daily driver, however, soon after I got him home I knew that I didn't want to waste him on my boring morning commute so I left him in the garage and bought a TT to cover for the Box. The problem is that as my love for my Boxster growes (as it does very time I look at it), the more I just want to protect it and keep it clean and safe in my garage. At this point I only drive him about 30 to 45 minutes a week (all at once on a weekend) just around my gated community. Now I know that my Box deserves a real life, but other than not fulfilling his need for speed, I am doing any real long term damage to the car. It is a 1997 with about 47,000 miles on it and as long as I keep doing all the maintence based on time, not miles will I create a problem? Thanks for the advice!

rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I would think that the only issue this could cause would be seals drying up. Since you drive it weekly I wouldnt see a problem though. Just change the oil every year and keep up with maintainence and I would think you will be fine.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #3

I think Blinkwatt is wrong about things being fine. You could suffer depression from lackaboxa. You seem to have a mild symptom by just worrying about it. Next GUILT sets in. No telling what after that. Maybe start looking at Buicks to replace the TT.

Get that baby outta the gates and onto the Winding Road for some trips to redline!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #4

Dear Lord! Your post came close to making me cry. 30-45 minutes a week? In a GATED COMMUNITY? With so little exercise I'm surprised the SPCP (Society for Protection of Cruelty to Porsches) hasn't taken it away. In the name of all that is good and twisty, drive the thing!

Failing that, set it free. If it comes back to you, run! Cuz that'd be one FREAKY CAR!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #5

Thumbs down Garage Queen

It sounds you are making the Boxster into a veal cutlet. I don't see the need to get a P-car and not to use it. I use mine everyday top down as much as I can. Luckily I have only 15 minute commute or shorter depending on my speed mood. I use my car all year round. I love it and I would be nuts to put in the garage so I could save it from use! Dump the TT, which sucks anyway, and drive the Boxster which is the standard for all sports cars. Get rid of your guilt and drive the car that truly rewards your driving experience!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
bmussatti

It is important to get the engine up to temperature and "burn off" moisture & condensation. It is also good to get the VarioCam (does the 1997 have this?) fully exercised. I don't think driving in your neighborhood, like you have been doing, is enough to fully warm 9 quarts of oil.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #7

If you're driving it less than an hour a week, what do you care if it stops running?

A TT as a substitute? Interesting choice.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
If you're driving it less than an hour a week, what do you care if it stops running?
That's very funny. I think I peed in my pants a little.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #9

I'm not sure I would use "Queen" to describe anything....except...ah, nevermind. Don't want to open that can of worms again.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #10

queens

In the street rod world (at least those of us who drive them) sorta make fun of the garage and trailer queens. Next thing you know, you'll have that thing in an enclosed trailer pulling it w/ an SUV just to unload it a block from work and "drive it on in..." It's a great driving machine - the bugs can be cleaned, the chips can be repaired. Do you want to be "a Porche owner" or "a Porsche driver"? Get that baby out and enjoy it!
04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano
rodsnhawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I would think that the only issue this could cause would be seals drying up.
Yeah, they do get all crusty and dried out if they're out of water too long...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #12

Where's my club when I need it? Here little seal.....just kidding. He's cute.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
creseida

As has been said so many times throughout this forum: Porsches love to be driven. They get very cranky when they are left at home while the family goes out and has fun without them. Remember, it is the Porsches that DON'T get driven that tend to have way more problems than those that do.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseida
As has been said so many times throughout this forum: Porsches love to be driven. They get very cranky when they are left at home while the family goes out and has fun without them. Remember, it is the Porsches that DON'T get driven that tend to have way more problems than those that do.

Actually, there is no data on whether this is a true statement or not and this is likely too vague a condition to actually test. After all, what is the annual mileage that constitutes a "garage queen" (think of the images this can bring up!) and a normal driver. Is it 5K a year, 10K etc etc.

In addition to seals and the like, batteries go bad faster and tires get out of round pretty quickly when the car sits.

I do suggest that a good brisk half hour drive twice a month is minimum. Moreover, you may want to get a battery tender AND those little tire cups that will keep the tires from flat spotting.

Or, sell the car and buy a nice portrait of one for your garage.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #15

If a 5,000 mi. a year Porsche is a "garage queen", then there are one hell of a lot of garage queens out there.
A few numbers from the classified ads in my local newspaper today (Sunday):

There are 13 911s advertised for sale which have the mileage noted. The average yearly mileage is 4,054, with a high average if 9066 miles per year, and a low average of 900 miles per year.
There are six 986/987s advertised for sale, with an average yrly mileage of 5840 miles. Low avg of 1600 miles, high avg of 9500.

This tracks pretty well with other mileage figures I have seen, which indicate the average to be roughly 6000 miles per year.

While there may be some truth to the contention that extremely low yearly mileage may ultimately, after a number of years, have some impact on the condition of rubber components and seals, such contention is typically, in my opinion, a justification on the part of the "daily driver" contingent for piling up mileage on their own cars.
I have news for those folks. They don't have to justifiy their driving habits. It's your car, drive it as much or as little as you like.
What irritates the hell out of me is the self-serving smugness of the high-mileage guys in berating low-mileage owners for somehow mistreating their cars. Purest nonsense. If this were true, low mileage cars would be worth LESS in resale value than average mileage or high mileage cars, which is patently not the case.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
If a 5,000 mi. a year Porsche is a "garage queen", then there are one hell of a lot of garage queens out there.
A few numbers from the classified ads in my local newspaper today (Sunday):

There are 13 911s advertised for sale which have the mileage noted. The average yearly mileage is 4,054, with a high average if 9066 miles per year, and a low average of 900 miles per year.
There are six 986/987s advertised for sale, with an average yrly mileage of 5840 miles. Low avg of 1600 miles, high avg of 9500.

This tracks pretty well with other mileage figures I have seen, which indicate the average to be roughly 6000 miles per year.

While there may be some truth to the contention that extremely low yearly mileage may ultimately, after a number of years, have some impact on the condition of rubber components and seals, such contention is typically, in my opinion, a justification on the part of the "daily driver" contingent for piling up mileage on their own cars.
I have news for those folks. They don't have to justifiy their driving habits. It's your car, drive it as much or as little as you like.
What irritates the hell out of me is the self-serving smugness of the high-mileage guys in berating low-mileage owners for somehow mistreating their cars. Purest nonsense. If this were true, low mileage cars would be worth LESS in resale value than average mileage or high mileage cars, which is patently not the case.
Not terribly germane to this discussion.. but I always get a chuckle when I look at my odometer.. 21000 km in about 11 months.. (that's about 13,000 mi). And I may double that soon.. thinking of heading on a cross/trans country trip this fall.. Toronto to Vancouver to LA and back up. Good think I'm buying this thing at the end of the lease! ;-)

In any case.. drive or don't drive the car the way you want.. no skin off my nose (though I have been guilty of having a chuckle at some peoples' expens.. I'm trying to stop that.. mea clupa)

Though I *would* be a bit wary of buying a car with *too* low mileage (kilometrage?) unless I talked with the owner to see how s/he took care of it.. just like anything, I suppose.

berj is offline   Reply With Quote