Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #1

a.c sounds like a lawnmover

hey guys,this problem just started out of no where,under the pasenger dash when the a.c is on it sounds like a lawnmover.i think it could be a fan.does anyone know of this problem.hope its just a fan that could be changed easily.thanks in advance.

arcticnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #2

My 97 boxster just developed the same lawnmower sound, heard mostly at low fan speeds. So someone needs to tell us both how to repair this!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #3

Do you know if your car has the "Lawn Mower Sound Enhancement Option"? Because if so, that's what it is. I personally prefer the "Weed Wacker Sound Enhancement Option", but that's just me.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #4

Hey!!!! I just fixed mine today for the second time!! Heres what happens, the fan will suck in random pieces of foam. All you have to do is drop that soft foamy stuff from under the pass side dash, remove two screws and the fan cover will drop right out. Now, you will see the fan it looks like a hampster wheel. Get some small, very small needle nose or tweesers stick inside the fan blades and pull random foam out. Dont pull the metal weights off thew fan. This is so simple please dont take it to the stealership!!!! 15 to 20 minutes max and thats if your drunk! I thought I was going to scream when this happended to my car. It was hot and I couldnt stand to listen to the fan, making me nuts!! Tell me thanks when your done, lol.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #5

Now THAT's what I'm talking about! The free exchange of experience and information here never seems to amaze me.

Ohioboxster, you are a good soul for posting this info. I'll try it tonight!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote