Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #21
Boxing in Australia

Ultimate goal

Hi everyone,

at the age of 76 I bought my 2003 2.7, I have owned a lot of sportscast over the years, Morgan 3-wheelers, prewar M.G P type , Austin 7 special, MG TD , MGB and more recently 1997 MGF, and a Caterham super 7.

When it came to deciding on my (probably) last car I wanted a car with the handling and performance of the Super 7 with the practicality of the mid-engined MGF.

Only open car that meets all these needs is the Boxster, I wish I had been able to buy one a few years ago,

Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 AM   #22

Reason for me is it is a classic mid engine layout and a lot of bang for the buck . I had built a 1975 914 chassis into a /6 GT clone complete with 3.0 911 SC engine . Did the welded flares , complete suspension makeover with 911 calipers/rotors she was a great running car . But it lacked creature comfort that is needed ( in my opinion ) when living in the Southeast . It is just too hot/humid to drive without AC . Either that or you lose too much driving time saying it's too hot out.
Enter the Boxster with all modern amenities , excellent handling , good storage space and affordable . Then throw in fantastic braking , nice 6 cylinder sound and the crash safety designed into the car what is not to like ? I traded the 914 to get the Boxster and have never missed it . My Boxster S GT3 clone is EVERYTHING i need and want , it does it all .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #23

I ran a Chrysler-Jeep-Kia dealership for 33 years. About 5 years ago a customer comes in to trade a 98 stick Boxster. I go out to appraise it and after driving I thought to myself, this is fun to drive. Normally my appraisals lasted a few minutes. I drove in around for about 10 minutes. When you are around cars everyday and have driven almost everything you get to the point that you really dont get excited about many cars. They are just something to sell. That car really left an impression on me.
I used to be into restoring old Mustangs, one of the few cars that did excited me, but the older you get it becomes too hard. I retired and I sold my Mustangs but I kept thinking about that little red Boxster. Started looking for one, not knowing if Id really actually buy one, it had to be exactly what I wanted. Six months later I found this. Love it!

Last edited by JBauer; 07-22-2017 at 07:54 AM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #24

First time I saw one, I stopped and watched it go by, When I saw the central exhaust, I was sold.
How sexy is that car??????

It took a long time to get one, but I love it now.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
cheap track car.
Same for me. And more power than a Miata.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #26
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Loved Porsches ever since I was little, but the release of the Boxster 1998...the beauty of that car struck me...I was in love...2 years later I bought mine cash without test driving one before (picked it up in Zuffenhausen Nov2000).
I used EA's Porsche unleashed PC game to configure the color in their virtual show room (no car maker would offer anything like that at that time, so I had to improvise). I was pretty fast sure, it had to be a racing gray. Seal gray was just offered with MY01...bingo!

Last edited by BRAN; 07-22-2017 at 09:00 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #27

In my 20s I had owned 2 Alfa roadsters (1.3 and 1.5) and a '70 914-4. I got serious, got married, drove boring cars. After all the bills were paid my wife asked me "you have been looking in the classifieds for years, why don't you go buy one". So I started out sitting in and driving any sports car available. Many I dismissed within a few miles, some in a few blocks. I was looking for something I could enjoy every day and traffic had gotten to the point where, to do that, an automatic was needed.

I saw an ad for a Boxster in the next state over and drove over to see it. 2 miles and I knew. '99, first one I drove. Put a deposit down and went home to get a driver to transfer the car. Came back to pay and found her kids had driven their bikes against the side and seemingly scratched the side. Settled on an amount to fix it. I took it home, polished out the scratches and pocketed the "professionals" estimate. Loved it. 4 months later I totaled it and the insurance company paid me more than they knew I paid for it. I bought a '01S with snow on the ground. Drove it as a DD for several years until I retired and found it getting maybe 500 miles a year and me living 50 miles from any P-car mechanic. Time to sell. Sold in 3 hours from posting on CL. I've tracked it since through its 4th and 5th owner and about 95k last I heard.

Both of the cars were stunningly reliable and tremendous fun. If I had a three car garage, I'd buy another.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #28
I am No. 1348

Garage
It was this episode of "COPS" which first attracted me. Ever since I saw it, I thought to myself; Damn that is a great car, but I could never afford one. Then looking for a car for my wife (Mazda MX-5), I saw one for sale and had to have it after test driving it!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84L-XRgSto0