Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Garage
Airbag light

Can anyone verify autel md 802 scanner is compatible w/2004 boxster s?
It would be great if it also reset service/oil reminder..i bought icarsoft por ii but it will not communicate with ecu...thanks!

STRANGEPOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The only non-Porshe computer than I know of, that can reset a safety light, like the airbag, is Durametric.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
The only non-Porshe computer than I know of, that can reset a safety light, like the airbag, is Durametric.
I got Autel MD802 and it reliably communicates with airbag module and resets the light. Actually I bought Durametric first and it was so unstable that I returned it and bought Autel, which has limited capability but great cost performance and works on many models.

Within a year owning a Boxster I sorted out 3 airbag light issues; corroded connector with seat belt buckle, diactivation with child seat buckle and clock spring using the Autel.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!

Last edited by Boxstard; 07-14-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I got Autel MD802 and it reliably communicates with airbag module and resets the light. Actually I bought Durametric first and it was so unstable that I returned it and bought Autel, which has limited capability but great cost performance and works on many models.

Within a year owning a Boxster I sorted out 3 airbag light issues; corroded connector with seat belt buckle, diactivation with child seat buckle and clock spring using the Autel.
This....I have an Autel MD 802 and it DOES reset the airbag light. Mine continued to go off, and I have now sprayed electronics contact cleaner in the belt buckles...my passenger buckle was setting off the light.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Rick, I have a Durametric and cannot reset the airbag red light..

JFP kindly suggested that I could have a loose ground on the wiring harness because the light came on right after reinstalling the gearbox, but checked all the connectors and have not been able to find anything loose.

I will try Spindoc's recommendation to see if it works...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I was unaware there was another option. That's good to know, as great as the Durametric is, I agree they are finicky and difficult to use.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #7

Garage
I am really happy with my Autel!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #8

Another vote for Autel

I have both Durametric and the MD802 Autel. Durametric has issues with my 1999 airbag and can't communicate but the Autel works fine. Plus the Autel works on my VWs for the service stuff.
chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks!

I really appreciate all the feedback. I contacted Autel's head of programming and he suggested md 808 (I can't even find one for sale) but he never answered questions regarding weather or not 802 would work for me. I guess as soon as I receive my refund for the useless Icarsoft POR II I will purchase Autel md 802 and see what happens. (the airbag light is on due to unplugging airbag w/battery connected for window regulator replacement, so I don't think it will come back if I ever get a tool to turn it off) Thanks again ALL!!!
STRANGEPOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

Strange, did you ever managed to turn the airbag light off…?
if so, how..??

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote