Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

Garage
Trunk and frunk release on 2004 Boxster S

So here's a mystery and a concern:

Not long ago the trunk open knob stopped working on both of our keys. Both keys light up when the key is pressed, so it must be something in the car that's a problem. But the switch in the drivers door sill still works.

Then today at the PCA NER AX the frunk suddenly refused to open when the door sill switch was pulled, but fortunately it came back, otherwise we would have had to call my wife to come out with her car to take some of the stuff we had brought to the AX.

When I checked the parts listing it looks like the 2003 and 2004 Boxsters don't have emergency cable releases. And all the owners manual mentions is putting an external battery but still using the sill switches.

So here are my questions:

Have any of you experienced these problems and how did you deal with them?

Am I correct that there isn't an emergency cable release?

How do I get the trunk and frunk lids opened if the switches and keys fobs don't work?

This is scary, because it could have happened on the vacation we just returned from to the Canadian Maritime Provinces.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
The '04 does have a release cable.

It's possible the actuator in the frunk has gone - mine did this and worked normally again once I replaced it.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks Chris. Good to know that there is a manual cable release. OK that it hard to get at. I'm going to use electrical contact cleaner and lubrication to see if I can make it work reliably and replace the actuator if that fails.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

I had a similar problem and it was one of my keys. It was unlocking the door, but not the frunk. I was able to clear it using my spare key. I believe your car does have emergency release cables. On the front and rear you have to pull back the fender insulation. Not sure thats what it is called but turn the front wheels to get some room, remove the pop outs and pull back the plastic on drivers side, up
Close to the bumper. The cable can be reached Same sort of thing in rear, same side of car. Before doing all that though, use your key to manually lock then unlock the car and see if that resolves the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymkmkrz View Post
I had a similar problem and it was one of my keys. It was unlocking the door, but not the frunk. I was able to clear it using my spare key. I believe your car does have emergency release cables. On the front and rear you have to pull back the fender insulation. Not sure thats what it is called but turn the front wheels to get some room, remove the pop outs and pull back the plastic on drivers side, up
Close to the bumper. The cable can be reached Same sort of thing in rear, same side of car. Before doing all that though, use your key to manually lock then unlock the car and see if that resolves the problem.

Just remembered. Fender liners