Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thorough Engine Cleaning

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of performing a multi-day detail on my 986. Today, I cleaned the engine bay, which I have never cleaned this thoroughly before. It turned out really well, and was not very complicated. I wanted to share my process. Cleaning the engine once the cover's were off took less than 30 minutes.

I started by placing the top in the service position, and opening up the engine compartment. I then taped off the front of the engine bay with painters tape, to ensure the carpet and cabin would stay dry. I also taped off any exposed wiring or connectors with saran wrap and tape.

I then used a portable foamer filled with water and car soap, similar to an a garden sprayer, to put a layer of foam on the engine. I use this to foam my car before washing and it is much lower pressure than a pressure washer, but puts down a nice layer of foam, mine in an IK 9 Foamer (highly recommended). I agitated the foam using the boar's hair brush I use on my rims.

I then rinsed gently with the hose and a sprayer attachment. A lot more came off with just soap and water than I expected. All of the black in the upper right came off the engine.

Next I used Simple Green Aircraft which is a heavy duty all purpose cleaner that is aluminum safe to clean the throttle body. I diluted it 50/50 with water, and used a cheap paint brush to agitate the cleaner. It took most of the dirt and grime right off. I then dried the engine with a leaf blower and compressed air. I also idled the car for a few minutes, it was still warm from being driven earlier this morning. Once it was dry enough I applied some 303 Protectant to give the plastic some shine and help it repel dirt in the future.

Next I used the same Simple Green Aircraft on the inside of the engine cover, and then rinsed with the hose.

After it dried I applied some 303 to the top of the engine cover, and conditioned the rubber seal with Gummi Pfledge. I have stopped for a few hours for lunch, but I started on the interior by pulling both seats. FYI, the four bolts take an E12 socket. I found a $10 bill, $0.57 cents in change, a Starbucks stick/cap, and a keychain measuring tape under the seats.

I discovered the wiring for the memory "brain" under the driver's seat was a mess, so I cleaned it up with some zip ties.

Next I am planning to vacuum then steam clean the carpet, wrap the immobilizer in plastic wrap (I have drain guards, so I don't worry very much about my drains clogging), treat the leather dash with 303 Protectant (I no longer use conditioner on any leather that is not regularly handled), treat the seats with leather conditioner, and apply wax/sealant to the painted center console.

Hope that was helpful!

Last edited by rick3000; 07-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Well done sir.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #3

Nice thorough job, it looks great! I like the fact that the protectant isn't to shiny, it's more like a satin finish.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Fantastic result!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks!
One note, if you look at the throttle cable in the before and after pictures, it got pushed off to the side during the cleaning, which led to the gas pedal being floppy and not working. Make sure the cable is in the correct position before you close the engine compartment.