Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Garage
Two stage resonance intake manifold

I saw this In a 987 cayman brochure for when the DFI engines came out.

However, I'm curious if it's on our cars and Porsche just didn't bother to market it as it seems they were less technical in their print back in the day?

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:26 AM   #2

I wish there was a video of what they are describing. I look at the intake system on these Porsches and question how efficient they are. To me the system is too twisty and doesn't have good air flow. I sometimes think of building a dual intake for one just to see what happens. Each side would have it's own separate air intake from the scopes on the side of the car. I would eliminate the engine fan on the right side. It would be, scope, air filter, tube, MAF sensor, throttle body and then 2.5 intake runners facing outward. Air in air out as they say
Old 06-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #3

This is what our cars have.

"The Boxster S shares its twin-resonance air induction system with the 911
Carrera. The system acts as a “resonance supercharger,” allowing the engine to
draw from higher velocity airflow at certain engine speeds. A crossover pipe
connects the individual air collector/resonance chambers for each cylinder bank.
A flap in the pipe remains closed from idle to about 3,100 rpm. When it opens,
each cylinder bank can draw from airflow “excited” by the resonance created by
alternating induction between all six cylinders. In essence, “dual resonance”
creates two induction paths for each cylinder. Below 3,000 rpm, the cylinders
draw air from a “short” path. From 3,000 rpm to about 5,100 rpm – when the
resonance flap opens – the cylinders draw from a long intake path, which boosts
torque. Above 5,100 rpm, the flap again closes to allow the cylinders to draw
intake air from a shorter intake path to boost horsepower at higher engine speeds"
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #4

there have been a few variations of this system on the m96/m97 engines (and the varioram system on the 993). all except the early 2.5 have had the resonance flap on the intake runners. the 987's also had a flap on the intake plenum.

a few threads on this, but the idea is 'tuning' the intake. a number of concepts at play here, tied to fluid flow properties and cylinder fill on the the suck stroke.

fluid flow - decreasing diameter of intake tract. you'll note that the intake tube gets smaller in diameter as you follow it from the airbox to the throttle body. conservation of mass says that the same amount of air that enters the pipe at the larger diameter has to pass through the smaller diameter pipe. for this to happen the air has to accelerate/compress. the faster air more efficiently fills the cylinders during intake. this produces more torque at low rpm. at high rpm the effort to accelerate the air increases and actually reduces HP, so track cars that live at high rpm typically do away with the OEM intake and just run a big pipe and throttle body to get as much air in as possible (to the detriment of low rpm torque).

the same principal applies to intake runners. if you look at the design, they start wide and narrow down as they approach the cylinder head, again accelerating the air into the cylinder. note that the 996 has longer runners than the 986, which adds to the better torque numbers the 996 makes.

now then, when the intake valve slams shut, this fast-moving air stops suddenly and sends a shockwave back upstream. IF you design the lengths of the intake runners, and the intake plenum, properly, you can make it so that this shockwave hits an open intake valve and dramatically increases the rate of cylinder fill. this is the purpose of the resonance flap - it changes the lengths of the intake runners to 'tune' the intake such that shockwaves are hitting when and where they are supposed to.

note also that these shockwaves travel back up the intake tube as well - this is the purpose of the plastic pot that sticks off the side of your intake tube - dissipate these shockwaves and make the intake quieter.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
note also that these shockwaves travel back up the intake tube as well - this is the purpose of the plastic pot that sticks off the side of your intake tube - dissipate these shockwaves and make the intake quieter.

I always wondered why there was a "muffler" on the intake.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote