Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Waiting for his reply and some pictures
If I did that, told everyone, then started it and blew it up Id go into hiding 🙄

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #42

1) Pull the fuel pump fuse
2) Crank for 30 seconds to build pressure
3) Replace fuse
4) Start engine and cross fingers....
Old 06-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
1) Pull the fuel pump fuse
2) Crank for 30 seconds to build pressure
3) Replace fuse
4) Start engine and cross fingers....
Uh.. You better make #1 Put oil in it. 🙄
Old 06-19-2017, 02:52 AM   #44
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I guess they don't make em like a Mercedes. 17 minutes driving with no oil before engine dies.

https://youtu.be/CfipRXooCTM

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
I guess they don't make em like a Mercedes. 17 minutes driving with no oil before engine dies.

ehh... can you stick to 986forum trends, please?

The noise from a car ramp sliding on concrete will cause explosions, apocalypse, holocaust, extermination and our planet will turn into a star if you don't flatbed and foot a $3000 expert invoicing.

It is what it is man. Serious stuff :/

you've scanned your car lately?!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post

There's an old joke about the Mercedes 300D, where the transmission had fallen out, but the car ran fine for another 100 miles or so, on its reputation.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #47

To give you a little hope I did this years ago with a car as well. I couldn't reach the oil filler while the car was on the ramps so I just hopped in and drove it off with no oil. Probably ran for 5-8 sec with no oil. Boy did I feel silly once I realized what I just did.

I did not have the internet to turn to or a Durametric to tell me what has failed so I just filled it with oil and drove it as normal for the next several years. There were no apparent consequences. I can't remember what car it was, Maybe a Mustang 5.0

Anyway good luck, but my money is on the engine being fine.
chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubert View Post
To give you a little hope I did this years ago with a car as well. I couldn't reach the oil filler while the car was on the ramps so I just hopped in and drove it off with no oil. Probably ran for 5-8 sec with no oil. Boy did I feel silly once I realized what I just did.

I did not have the internet to turn to or a Durametric to tell me what has failed so I just filled it with oil and drove it as normal for the next several years. There were no apparent consequences. I can't remember what car it was, Maybe a Mustang 5.0

Anyway good luck, but my money is on the engine being fine.
Unfortunately there is a lot of difference in that engine and his. I used to run a dealership and during Cash for Clunkers we were required by law to blow up the engines on the trade ins. We drained the oil, added "engine blower" for lack of knowing what the government supplied. All the import high tech engines blew within 60 seconds. The Ford big old V8s ran for an hour before they even started to knock. Several never blew up even after running for hours. Some we drained the coolant and they still wouldn't lock, Got really noisy but would not blow.
One of the mechanics told me that the imports were build to higher tolerances?

Last edited by JBauer; 06-19-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
One of the mechanics told me that the imports were build to higher tolerances?
All about assembly's rigidity. See it like Alusil blocks (Porsche?) vs steel casting blocks

I've once been told to avoid hot spots on AL (e.g. no oil/rotary,1000rpm loll). AL normally twist as a result. And screw up main bearings and other stuff.... like gears
Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #50
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post
Hi, Do I just add the new oil and hope for the best?
Yes. If the engine is damaged it will cost more to repair than replace. I wouldn't wander too far from home for awhile.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Oh, just put some new oil in it and drive it.
Agreed, just put oil in it and take out the fuel pump fuse so that the car cannot start and then crank the motor until the oil pressure light goes out. And I wouldn't sweat it too much. I know it's a different motor, but many years ago I had a Fiat 850 that lost all of it oil while I was stopped at a stop sign, I saw the oil pressure light go on and I immediately shut it off, but I did hear a bit of a rattle.

after I put oil in to it, it rattle a little bit when i first started it but after that the car ran fine. Well, is fine as a Fiat 850 could run.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Yes. If the engine is damaged it will cost more to repair than replace. I wouldn't wander too far from home for awhile.
+1 to above. Hope you get lucky!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #53

If it were me, I'd probably fill her with oil and then pull the front engine cover (behind the seats), put a long handled breaker bar on the front pulley bolt, and slowly turn her over twice by hand (with the ignition off). Maybe even pull all the plugs to make turning her over easier. If I didn't feel a piston hit a valve, I'd pull the fuel pump relay and crank her over by key until the oil pressure light went out (to pump up the tensioners without starting it). If that went well I'd reinstall the fuel pump relay (and plugs if I had pulled them) and say a little prayer before trying to start her...

The noise you heard could have just been chain rattle because the tensioners weren't pumped up. But 5 seconds is a LONG time, and there's a chance one of the chains jumped a tooth. If it did, the damage is probably already done, so I don't think proceeding the way I described above would hurt anything. But I'm not an expert... it's just what I would try...
Old 06-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
... We drained the oil, added "engine blower" for lack of knowing what the government supplied. ...
Sodium silicate. Also known as "liquid glass". Used in some coolants, and in many of the "stop leak in a bottle" type products.

That's interesting about the dramatically different engine running times before seizure.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:42 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Sodium silicate. Also known as "liquid glass". Used in some coolants, and in many of the "stop leak in a bottle" type products.

That's interesting about the dramatically different engine running times before seizure.
Yep that's it. It was actually fun blowing those cars. We probably went through 150 cars.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:29 AM   #56
I am No. 1348

Garage
So is there an epilogue to this story? What did the OP do and how did it turn out?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
So is there an epilogue to this story? What did the OP do and how did it turn out?
Exactly! Some of the commentary may have been a bit harsher than it could have been, but I think everyone is rooting for the OP, and wants to know the outcome. At least I am!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Exactly! Some of the commentary may have been a bit harsher than it could have been, but I think everyone is rooting for the OP, and wants to know the outcome. At least I am!
He's busy driving it loll. He'll be back I'm sure...
Old 06-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #59

Epilogue - Car is fine!

I meant to post sooner, but I forget stuff...
K so I got it to my local independent Porsche mechanic, and he agreed with the "Pull the fuse/relay and start it and let pressure go back up" type method several of you posted in this thread. The car started fine and he told me about the components down at the bottom of the engine that are usually bathed in oil when the normal amount of oil is in the car (I think he mentioned the tensioners). I did a short test drive initially and everything was normal, and will probably take it on the highway this weekend.
Thanks for all input, much appreciated!
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #60
I am No. 1348

Garage
Congratulations! You dodged a huge bullet. Thanks for posting the update.