Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #1

Sound - comparing the boxster to the boxster S

This may seem like a weird question but I have been lucky enough to get another chance at Porsche ownership After selling my 2001 porsche boxster my gf has offered to use her bonus at the end of 2006 to help buy me another; perhaps even the boxster S. I know that the boxster isn't the fastest car around and that is not why I am buying one the overall driving experience is simply superb in this car and it's a lot of fun even when you're not driving fast. My favorite part of my 01 boxster was the sound at 5K RPM plus that engine would just scream, and I'm wondering how does the 3.2 L motor compare does it provide the same (or better) level of audio? I know I should ultimately take a test drive but unfortunately there aren't any used boxster S models that I can easily test drive at the moment.

Cheers!

thepress83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
bmussatti

The 3.2 sounds great. Should sound better than the base model too and the 987 should sound better than the 986.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
The 3.2 sounds great. Should sound better than the base model too and the 987 should sound better than the 986.
I thought my 2000 S model sounded great... until my boss drove it. He's had two base model Boxes, a '98 and a '99, and he thought that the S didn't have as good of a sound as his base models. Mine is not de-snorkled.

I think I'd rather have the extra grunt.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
I thought my 2000 S model sounded great... until my boss drove it. He's had two base model Boxes, a '98 and a '99, and he thought that the S didn't have as good of a sound as his base models. Mine is not de-snorkled.

I think I'd rather have the extra grunt.
This is true,my friend has a 04 S. He commented on how my 99 sounded compared to his S. Doesnt really matter though because thats about all my 99 has on his 04 S.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
This is true,my friend has a 04 S. He commented on how my 99 sounded compared to his S. Doesnt really matter though because thats about all my 99 has on his 04 S.

Blink, but your car is not stock right? Maybe that's why it sounded different (better).

Did you read this post yet?:

My Into Post
Old 07-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepress83
After selling my 2001 porsche boxster my gf has offered to use her bonus at the end of 2006 to help buy me another; perhaps even the boxster S.
Make sure she tosses in some jewelry for herself in the deal so you don't feel guilty for as long.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #7

Don't tell her but she'll probably get a ring out of it any girl who's willing to help me buy a Porsche is a keeper for sure!

Thanks for the input everyone I think I really need to drive both and see for myself while the 3.2 is awesome I'm sure I'm kinda fond of the 2.7 myself.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepress83
Don't tell her but she'll probably get a ring out of it any girl who's willing to help me buy a Porsche is a keeper for sure!

Thanks for the input everyone I think I really need to drive both and see for myself while the 3.2 is awesome I'm sure I'm kinda fond of the 2.7 myself.
Make sure to post back your own opinion on the differences. I've never gotten a chance to ride in anything but my '98, but I do wish that it sounded a bit more aggressive (okay, I'm shallow, I want to turn more heads when I zoom by ).
Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #9

This might be a little off the Boxster topic - but I drove a '99 C4 a few weeks ago with the sound enhancement package. WOW! At low RPMs or WOT it grumbles like you wouldn't believe. The rest of the time it's a pretty tame sound.

With they had that for the Boxster.....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #10

I have a 00S, and my experience with the noise is that is sounds great if your sitting in the car....anyone else doesnt really hear it...assuming everthing is stock...

Let me get this straight...your girlfriend (not wife) is giving you money to buy a porsche??? wow, must have something under the hood???
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Blink, but your car is not stock right? Maybe that's why it sounded different (better).

Did you read this post yet?:

My Into Post
Yes my car is still stock....for now. The supercharger keeps appealing to me more and more,damn that video from ImagineAuto. Perhaps with my new career I will spoil myself,who knows.
About the whole marriage thing,lets hope she likes 18 year old real estate agents/loan officers.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #12

Well the background is I sold my car to help her get back on her feet originally and now that she has a decent job again she wants to repay me. It's quite sweet actually.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
About the whole marriage thing,lets hope she likes 18 year old real estate agents/loan officers.
Blink, don't sell yourself short man, you are also a young budding Master Porsche Mechanic!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #14

2.7L or 3.2L makes no difference in sound IMHO. The 987 and Cayman, however, sound a lot different. Don't buy the car for sound. You can easily de-snork, Evo intake, or change the muffler if sound is all you're after.

arenared is offline   Reply With Quote