Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2017, 05:49 AM   #1

Ignition Switch-Old V New Style

I pulled the ignition switch from my 01. Part number is 4B0 905 849. The body is white. Do I have the original or the newer style? I have found conflicting information on the internet and it lead me to ordering the wrong switch (I ordered 4A0...thinking I have the original older style.

PedrosGarage: On Model year 2004 and newer cars, the ignition switch was upgraded and is different from the one described above. the new Audi part number for this upgraded switch is 4B0 905 849. Pedro's references 4A0...as the early switch.

PelicanParts: If you are replacing only the electrical portion of one of the early steering locks, then use part number 4B0-905-849. Pelican references 4A0 as the later model switch.

Edit: Finding other parts supplies that also reference the 4B0-905-849 as the newer style and the 4A0... as the older. Maybe Pelican has it wrong on their website.

Last edited by ExplorerLyon; 06-14-2017 at 06:00 AM.
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #2

Pelican are correct. I did the same thing, found conflicting info so I bought a 4A first thinking it'd make sense it's the early one, right? And I've got a '97 so they don't come any earlier!

Found out that the 4A will technically 'fit' in an early car, but the rotating part is of by 90 degrees, so it'll try to start the car in the key off position!

Had to by a 4B which is the correct one for early cars and all was good. 4A is for later cars.

oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote