Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #1

New on the Forum & Boxster 986 "Gosht" problem

Hi there,
This is Jordi from Barcelona - Spain.
I'm new on the forum and happy to be posting here.
My boxster 986 2001, got a problem 2 days ago I don't know which can cause it.
It results than 2 days ago while getting into the car, key on and dash board was not showing any lights or any information.
I decide to disconnect ground cable from the battery, leaving about 1 hour and get cabling connected.
At that point, dash board came to live, but now even when key is switched off and removed from car, dash board lights still on, rear spoiler goes up & down, central and lateral car door lightings are on but dimmed a bit.

Can any one here help me to identify what the problem is?
Probably a relay?
Thanks for your help.

Jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

It may be a defective ignition switch. Search on that topic and you will see many posts involving odd electrical problems that were fixed by replacing the switch. It is a well-known weak point in the car.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #3

Many thanks Kevin!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:26 AM   #4

Garage
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html
Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #5

Smile

Thank you very much!!
Old 06-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
Administrator

Welcome to the 986 community, Jordi! We are happy to have you. I posted our ignition switch DIY below and also linked you to our extensive DIY tech article library. Be sure to bookmark it as it has a lot of really useful information when any issues arise on your 986. If you have any parts or forum questions please do not hesitate to reach out to me as I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Ignition switch: Porsche Boxster Ignition Switch Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
DIY tech library: Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
Welcome to the 986 community, Jordi! We are happy to have you. I posted our ignition switch DIY below and also linked you to our extensive DIY tech article library. Be sure to bookmark it as it has a lot of really useful information when any issues arise on your 986. If you have any parts or forum questions please do not hesitate to reach out to me as I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Ignition switch: Porsche Boxster Ignition Switch Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
DIY tech library: Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts
Hi Luccia,
Many thanks for welcoming me and links provided.