Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Click sound applying gas pedal at low speed

I have a 2004 Boxster S with 157K miles.

Not sure if this is a new noise or I just never noticed it before.

When I am driving about 30 mph and have to slow down with traffic, and then press the gas pedal (normal effort, not trying to accelerate very quickly but just keep up with traffic) there is a click I hear. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side toward the back. If it's stop and go traffic, this may happen a few times in a row but when I get up to about 40 mph it doesn't happen any more.

Any ideas what it might be?

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
I am No. 1348

Garage
Rock stuck in your wheel tread?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

Garage
Try pulsating the pedal. Does it click then, and does it click both when you add and you let off the gas?

Could be a trailing arm bushing, motor mount, other suspension parts.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Try pulsating the pedal. Does it click then, and does it click both when you add and you let off the gas?

Could be a trailing arm bushing, motor mount, other suspension parts.
I will check on my way home, but I had the motor mount changed last year and this is a different sound than that was making.

I had an older car when I was a teenager and had a problem like this that was the Universal Joint (connects drives shaft from engine in front to rear axle), and the sound I am getting reminds me of that - but no such part I know of in the Boxster.

Car does not make any sounds when driving over bumps etc in road so not sure it's suspension related.

I have a trip scheduled next week and hoping to make sure this is not an issue for that.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
I will check on my way home, but I had the motor mount changed last year and this is a different sound than that was making.

I had an older car when I was a teenager and had a problem like this that was the Universal Joint (connects drives shaft from engine in front to rear axle), and the sound I am getting reminds me of that - but no such part I know of in the Boxster.

Car does not make any sounds when driving over bumps etc in road so not sure it's suspension related.

I have a trip scheduled next week and hoping to make sure this is not an issue for that.
Haven't been able to track down what it is, but seems to be consistently happening in second gear when going slowly and letting off / pressing gas - not in a jarring way, just noreal driving.

I don't think it's clutch or transmission related, or motor mount, not sure if it's something in the suspension or perhaps a transmission mount.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #6

Figured I would follow up on this. A month or so ago I had my coolant expansion tank replaced and had the drive belt replaced at the same time.

The mechanic had noticed when diagnosing my over heating issue that the drive belt was missing a rib / tooth. When he did change the belt, he noticed a pebble had lodged itself in the belt where the missing rib was.

I hadn't thought about it for a few weeks but ever since then the click noise had stopped. Over the last several days I listened for it and have not heard it.

So interestingly, I think the noise was tied into the drive belt issues (not sure how long the pebble was in there).