Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Loose intake/plenum boots?...

I had my engine cover off today to replace the engine air filter (something I hadn't done in a few years), and so I figured I'd tighten up the metal hose clamps at the intake/throttle body/plenum connection. I found one of them (the inner lower left boot connection clamp) was tightening too much (the boot slipped off at the bottom), and so there was a gap. All other connections were solid. I was wondering why the car felt a little sluggish under full acceleration and I guess this was why. Once resealed, the car had its power back. Maybe worthwhile to check these connections once in a while...

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Any idea how long it was like that? And you didn't get any codes? I would think all that air bypassing the MAF would trigger something.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Any idea how long it was like that? And you didn't get any codes? I would think all that air bypassing the MAF would trigger something.
The last time I cleaned my throttle body was 7 years ago, and that's when the plenum boots were loosened and redone. I noticed the sluggish acceleration about a year and a half ago, but didn't think much of it cause I always thought the 2.7L was supposed to be slow anyway...LOL. I also hadn't changed my engine air filter in 7 yrs cause I only put like 5K miles on it or so, hence why I never took my engine cover off in all those years to check. I am thinking the MAF wouldn't detect it cause it is located right after the air intake box. After it flows past the MAF, it goes into the throttle body, and then after the throttle body, it goes into the plenums. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote