Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2017, 05:14 AM   #1

new hard top sources?

i have just about given up on finding someone who would ship a used hardtop to middle of nowhere canada, so where would be the best place to look for a new one? not the zein whatever top just a regular spin lock plug and play hard top.

madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

I don't think there are any OEM new hardtops available anywhere. Last year there was an eBay listing for the OEM hardtop shipping box, sounds like something you could have used. I think your only options are to buy a used hardtop somewhere else and take a road trip in your Boxster to pick it up, or buy one from someone that is willing to drop the hardtop off at a freight forwarder who will handle the packing, shipping, and in your case, import paperwork.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #3

Shipping to Canada is going to be a pain. Expensive to send plus the import taxes. As PaulE suggested you may want to take a road trip with your Boxster. If it's on the car you can avoid the import taxes and shipping
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I don't think there are any OEM new hardtops available anywhere. Last year there was an eBay listing for the OEM hardtop shipping box, sounds like something you could have used. I think your only options are to buy a used hardtop somewhere else and take a road trip in your Boxster to pick it up, or buy one from someone that is willing to drop the hardtop off at a freight forwarder who will handle the packing, shipping, and in your case, import paperwork.
Bought one recently (OEM is very nice) but had to drive and pickup. I used my 986, but a large SUV would also work and of course a Pickup Truck is golden. It looks VERY easy to damage in shipping unless packed really well.
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #5

Agree that shipping is a pain. And if you buy sight unseen it could be difficult to determine who caused any damage that occurs in transit. If madmac should happen to drive down to the US and back home with a hardtop installed, all the better for him! But it looks like Cape Breton is a long drive down to the US border.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #6

Summer is the time to buy and New England is the place. I know a bit of a drive from Cape Breton (lovely place) but get a set of spinlocks and install them first and then go pick up the hardtop. Good excuse for a drive. (I drove a similar distance to pick up some wheels and tires once. )

Or perhaps settle for a glass window new top so chops and window yellowing and rips are not an issue.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
i have just about given up on finding someone who would ship a used hardtop to middle of nowhere canada, so where would be the best place to look for a new one? not the zein whatever top just a regular spin lock plug and play hard top.
Ontario road trip ?
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:33 AM   #8

Ontario road trip ? trying to avoid it, but it is looking more like my best choice.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:50 AM   #9

I did some research on this topic when I was looking for a hard top. In the event that you beat the odds and find someone willing to ship, here are some pictures I found of the proper method for shipping a hard top.

A carpenter should be able to build a proper shipping crate without too much difficulty by looking at the pictures. The problem (as you indicated in your first post) is that you need to find a seller willing to go to the trouble and then you will have to pay for the labor and materials in addition to the shipping costs.

Here's a picture of a hard top that was shipped in a cardboard box:

You definitely don't want to cut corners on the shipping procedures.

I ultimately ended up driving to pick mine up, so I think your best option is a road trip. Just install the spin locks before you leave unless the seller has the spin locks from their car and can help install them. The spin lock installation process is a little tedious and there is a risk of dropping one of the parts into the top mechanism. It is not something you want to do in a hurry or when you are fatigued.

Good luck with your search.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:02 AM   #10

+1 on installing the spiral locks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
‘11 958 S
https://dergarage.com
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:10 AM   #11

+2 on pre-installing the spin-locks and taking a road trip to pick up a hard top.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #12

Those pictures of the hardtop box KevinH1990 posted are the OEM hardtop shipping container that was for sale on eBay last year.