Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #1

2006 Boxster S issues?

Sorry if this has been asked already but I didn't see any recent posts after searching. I'm looking at buying a 2006 Boxster S w/80k miles and was wondering if the 3.2 has the same RMS and IMS issues as the other models. Any other problem areas I should look for or maintenance records to check? TIA

Redducatirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redducatirider View Post
I'm looking at buying a 2006 Boxster S w/80k miles and was wondering if the 3.2 has the same RMS and IMS issues as the other models.
Yes, and yes.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
I am No. 1348

Garage
Check if the water pump and AOS have been replaced. They rank up there with the top maintenance items. It wouldn't hurt to check the CV Boots as well.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

Quote:
I'm looking at buying a 2006 Boxster S w/80k miles and was wondering if the 3.2 has the same RMS and IMS issues as the other models.
Yes and kind of. A 2006 will have the 3rd gen IMS which fails at a 1% rate.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

Garage
Yes and Yes... and...Make sure the coolant res tank in the trunk has been replaced as they tend to start leaking about this time for your model year. Most cars will have this replaced after 10 years.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

Yes and no. The jury is still out on the IMS on the 2006+ models. Some say it's a 1% fail rate - but the evidence is still to be seen. There is no doubt the IMS on that model year is far more robust than pre 06 - but I believe far more expensive to replace. 2006 cars have been around for 10 years now - but with many of them being fair weather driven and kept to low miles, we still don't have a true picture of the IMS issue. Hard to say if as they age more we will see more IMS issues, or if they are as strong as Porsche says and the 1% is more of an anomaly than an issue.
But to ask if they have the SAME issue as older models, I would say no - far far reduced issues around IMS.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Yes and no. The jury is still out on the IMS on the 2006+ models. Some say it's a 1% fail rate - but the evidence is still to be seen. There is no doubt the IMS on that model year is far more robust than pre 06 - but I believe far more expensive to replace. 2006 cars have been around for 10 years now - but with many of them being fair weather driven and kept to low miles, we still don't have a true picture of the IMS issue. Hard to say if as they age more we will see more IMS issues, or if they are as strong as Porsche says and the 1% is more of an anomaly than an issue.
But to ask if they have the SAME issue as older models, I would say no - far far reduced issues around IMS.
Don't bet on it, we have seen failures, as have other shops. As for getting hard numbers, well, you would have to file legal action against Porsche to find out.....
Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #8

Thank you for the replies, good stuff to know as I look for a car. One more question, what is AOS?
Redducatirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Thank you for the replies, good stuff to know as I look for a car. One more question, what is AOS?
Air Oil Separator (AOS).

Porsche Boxster Air / Oil Separator Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Be sure to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) at a reputable Porsche shop before you buy the car. The inspection can provide advice on any near-term work that may need to be done like AOS, coolant reservoir, CV boots, etc.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-05-2017 at 08:31 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #10

Garage
+1 Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #11

The general consensus is that the 06+ IMS has a reduced failure rate is street usage, but it's actually higher with track usage. If I'm not mistaken, this is according to the experts; Jake Raby/LN Engineering. As far as the actual failure rate, who knows, but it's certainly not zero!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #12

Nothing is zero

I have to challenge the PPI just a little. While a PPI is a good idea for any automobile as far as the IMS goes unless you have paperwork from a dependable shop that you can verify how can a PPI reveal anything about the condition of the IMS ?

Unless they drop the transmission to inspect and then you might as well replace ??
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have to challenge the PPI just a little. While a PPI is a good idea for any automobile as far as the IMS goes unless you have paperwork from a dependable shop that you can verify how can a PPI reveal anything about the condition of the IMS ?

Unless they drop the transmission to inspect and then you might as well replace ??
I don't think anyone said the PPI would help with the IMS....but certainly will help determine the approx. condition of suspension parts, exhaust system, brakes and general condition of the vehicle. A good PPI would check for deviations, which might give you some indication....
But on an 06, I wouldn't be too worried about the IMS, provided it has the big, beefy one, which I believe all 06 and up have.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #14

Garage
The PPI will determine whether there is an oil leak from the IMS or RMS. If there is it indicates that the transmission needs to be dropped for further diagnosis.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote