Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #41

Garage
Purchased my Boxster just recently and it's a fantastic car. 1998 5 speed, Ocean Metallic Blue, Savanna interior, OBC, Cruse, 71K miles. We have only had rear wheel or 4 wheel drive cars for the last 20+ years, mostly Miatas including a Spec Miata race car.

I needed a new car because the old Miata was just starting to feel a bit wrung out. I drove a Mazdaspeed 3 and I just didn't like the front drive setup and it felt too big inside. The wife's Impreza doesn't feel that big inside. So I decided to find a rear wheel drive and more Miata like. I found that Mazdaspeed MX5s are hard to come by, a Hyundai Geniuses, that I might settle for, was just a bit more than I want to pay and good 3rd Gen RX7s are pricy and very hard to find. Then I discovered you can get a Boxster or 911 for under 20K. I found this one locally and the body was in very good shape with a newish GAHH top and low milage. I kind of got starry eyed for it and didn't really check it out as well as I should have but I've gotten fairly lucky. It has decent service records and had the clutch and IMS replaced early in it's life. The dipstick tube was broken which lead me to over filling the oil which lead me to a new AOS and a few new vacuumed and breather hoses. The door lock mechanisms need replaced and the fuel door lock makes noise but doesn't work. Just got a Durametric tool and the ignition range 1 over reeves of only 890 are likely all me and 0/0 on range 2

marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #42

Garage
I paid too much money to a guy at a desk who gave me a key in return and I left... lol... pretty much exactly what happen....
Old 10-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #43
M31

Garage
Got mine in July of 2011 as my early retirement car. First thing I did was go on a 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S. Experienced everything from the frigid temps of the Rockies in late Sept. to the stifling heat of Death Valley. That drive down 101 and later Hwy 1 into Lompoc where I dined at the Hitching Post (Sideways is one of my favourite movies) was a trip to remember and I'll always be grateful I had the perfect car to rack up those 14,000km in 49 days! She's still with me today but the roads around here are pretty flat & boring compared to my trip of 2011!

Last edited by M31; 10-24-2017 at 05:15 AM.
M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #44

Which one??

My original Boxster S, which I still own was purchased off of eBay in July of 2007 on a no reserve auction. I noticed the car online on a Sunday night, with a Monday noon end of auction time. Turns out, the car was local and 'by owner'. I emailed the owner late that Sunday night to inquire about seeing the car Monday morning prior to the end of the auction. The owner called me Monday morning and I was able to inspect and drive the car. I went back to my office, bid and won the auction. Cool thing was that eBay motors actually had an incentive of $500 off any car purchased on the site. I haven't seen this offered since and figure it had to do with the crappy economy at the time.

Although I've since purchased and sold three other Boxster's, I've held onto this one as it seems to be one of the ones with no horror stories. Nine years later, so far, so good!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #45

My first Boxster
I wanted a first year car and I wanted a white one and I wanted a project car. I was a standard driver but found a tiptronic with a blown motor in white with all receipts. Bought it. Found out how much a motor cost. It sat in my two different garages after moving twice in 8 years. Finally swapped the engine and it was amazing.
Tho I always yearned for a manual

Second and current Boxster.
I always scoure classifieds for parts. I found an ad for a 2004 s 6speed for dirt cheap. Almost unbelievable cheap. But no pictures. I assumed another blown motor project but this was closer to home. I went to check it out. It turned out to be a 550 SE and I bought it on the spot with some cosmetic flaws. Fixed most issues tho some remain. God bless woody

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote