Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Stereo upgrade options?

Does anybody have a double DIN stereo mod installed in their Boxster? What other options are there? I've been eyeing this one at Crutchfield, and am wondering if anybody has ever installed one. Does anybody have this particular stereo?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1304200NEX/Pioneer-AVH-4200NEX.html?search=Pioneer_AVH-4200NEX&skipvs=T

Dave

Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

I have exactly that unit and really like it. Sound quality is way better than the stock CR-220. You can customize colors on the lighted buttons to match the Porsche yellow. You can use a custom screen background - a Porsche logo looks most excellent. Bluetooth and Apple carplay also work great, so I have handsfree calling, streaming, large nav screen, etc. You can also add a backup cam. $500 is a very good price.
stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #3

Garage
I guess you need to remove the cup holders to install this unit? My local installer place says I need some modules to connect the speakers and AMP... they want to charge me several hundred dollars for this module.... 01 BOX S... is this true or are they taking me for a ride!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman1 View Post
I have exactly that unit and really like it. Sound quality is way better than the stock CR-220. You can customize colors on the lighted buttons to match the Porsche yellow. You can use a custom screen background - a Porsche logo looks most excellent. Bluetooth and Apple carplay also work great, so I have handsfree calling, streaming, large nav screen, etc. You can also add a backup cam. $500 is a very good price.
Thanks, Stan. Seattle people think alike. What year is your Box? Can you tell me about the installation? Did you do it, or have it done someplace? Did you lose your cupholders? Did you need to buy additional modules or installation components? What speakers do you have installed? Any lessons learned you'd care to share? Pictures would be great, so I can see how it fits.

Dave

Last edited by DaveNW; 04-04-2017 at 01:03 PM.
DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Garage
Too funny. Same one I'm planning to put in mine in the next month or so. Also appreciate any info.
Random other motorized vehicles
sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Garage
$500 is a great price as the Canadian site is asking $1100 for it... crazy how the price differs for the same unit from the same seller.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
$500 is a great price as the Canadian site is asking $1100 for it... crazy how the price differs for the same unit from the same seller.
Very different, right? I'd suggest you contact Crutchfield directly, and see what you can arrange. That price seems very inflated, even wth CDN exchange rates.

Hoping stantheman1 replies with specifics. I like the idea of this stereo, and would very much like to see a real-world installation, especially pictures of the Boxster with it installed .

Dave
Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #8

I have the Pioneer AppRadio4 installed in my '02 with Bose. It connected using the factory speaker-level inputs to the Bose amp. No modules needed.

It's exactly what I wanted--Radio + Apple CarPlay.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #9

Here's a photo of the install...
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
Here's a photo of the install...
Thanks! This looks really great! And we have another Seattle fan.

I've heard one issue with this screen is it can be hard to see in the sun. Have you experienced any issues along those lines? Have you had to do anything to deal with that?

Dave
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #11

A few details on my install:
I have a 2001 s. The double din unit replaced the 0riginal cr-220 radio and the small parcel slot - the HVAC controls were already in the lowest slot, so didn't need to be moved.
I had it installed by Foss (several shops in Seattle area) but can't recommend them. The install price was right (<$250) but they didn't seem to know how to do it - it took them two tries, over 7 hours total, and it's still not right - the right and left channels are reversed and the trim piece around the unit does not fit right - it's not flush and it is loose. I jut ordered an install/trim kit from Crutchfield, and I'm going to redo the physical install with Crutchfield parts.
I also can't recommend Cary Toys (another area chain) - they quoted me $200 for the install, but when I asked them to print it out so I could think about it, the install price jumped to $700!
The previous owner had installed MB Quart speakers with a high-end crossover and separate amp, so I was already good to go there.
I'll post a pic or two in a couple days, when I am able to.
stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman1 View Post
A few details on my install:
I have a 2001 s. The double din unit replaced the 0riginal cr-220 radio and the small parcel slot - the HVAC controls were already in the lowest slot, so didn't need to be moved.
I had it installed by Foss (several shops in Seattle area) but can't recommend them. The install price was right (<$250) but they didn't seem to know how to do it - it took them two tries, over 7 hours total, and it's still not right - the right and left channels are reversed and the trim piece around the unit does not fit right - it's not flush and it is loose. I jut ordered an install/trim kit from Crutchfield, and I'm going to redo the physical install with Crutchfield parts.
I also can't recommend Cary Toys (another area chain) - they quoted me $200 for the install, but when I asked them to print it out so I could think about it, the install price jumped to $700!
The previous owner had installed MB Quart speakers with a high-end crossover and separate amp, so I was already good to go there.
I'll post a pic or two in a couple days, when I am able to.
Thanks, Stan. Sorry the install was a hassle - and that was quite a jump in price for the one company! I live north of Everett, so will likely use a local installer I know and trust - but I want to make sure I have all the answers and pieces before I walk in the door of his shop. I'm researching options and modules needed for a proper install of a unit like yours.

Do you happen to know any details on the amp you have? My '02 S had the base CR-220 stereo in it, which was swapped out for a Kenwood single-DIN unit a number of years ago, but it is a POS. Impossible to push the tiny buttons without a magnifying glass to see which one to push, and it's easy to turn it off when selecting which mode to be in. Very NOT user friendly design. There is no separate amp in the car, as far as I know.

Does anyone have details on stereo upgrades like this they'd care to share? At this point I'm especially interested in speaker options and amplifiers used. What fits, where did you put it, and so forth. I'm not after killer-base or anything, just would like to enjoy the stereo while out for a drive - with or without the top down.

Dave
Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #13

I quite like the look of the Becker unit. It's period accurate as I think modern car stereos have become ridiculous, looking like children's toys, spaceships etc. Not to mention they've become dangerous to adjust or even turn on! This was a pet peeve when you try to replace a car stereo in a 70's vintage vehicle, for example. Even though it late 90's onward, it still looks dated - which is good

There is a user who set up an iPad mini into his (now sold) 2001. That looked cool, is cheaper and offer greater flexibility - though it still can be dangerous to operate.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #14

Garage
My local install shop is giving me an outrageous price also to install a double din in the $700+ range.... I think that's just crazy and don't think spending $2000 on unit and install is worth doing on a 16 year old car. It would be nice granted but I feel like I am getting rammed pretty hard if I paid that.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #15

Garage
Has anyone every looked at buying those 7" touch screen Android double din units from China ? They are like $250 and have every feature possible in them....
Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #16
I am No. 1348

Garage
I also like the look of the Boxster radio. I have the CDR23 and Bose system and I think it sounds amazing. I opted to get the iSimple TransitBLU HF to add Bluetooth and hands free calling. It was $80 and I now have XMRadio, Pandora, and Waze all through my great sounding Bose system plus I can remove it and keep my Box nice and stock.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Has anyone every looked at buying those 7" touch screen Android double din units from China ? They are like $250 and have every feature possible in them....
I didn't go with the China unit, I actually went with an Android tablet (Nexus 7) and after market Kenwood deck. I followed the Ipad Mini DYI on this site, and love the results. I have a different interface on it now, that looks much better, and the great thing about the Nexus 7 is they are dirt cheap, and you can do cool things like add extra disk storage.

pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
Thanks! This looks really great! And we have another Seattle fan.

I've heard one issue with this screen is it can be hard to see in the sun. Have you experienced any issues along those lines? Have you had to do anything to deal with that?

Dave
I installed it about a month ago. Sun since then? Not here...

It seems to angle down slightly, which doesn't seem to suffer significant reflections (at least with the top up). I haven't driven it with the top down yet.

I will say that the sound quality is surprisingly improved over the old unit, something I didn't expect.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #19

Saving my pennies for ...

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #20

Garage
Equalizer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbrsix View Post
I installed it about a month ago. Sun since then? Not here...

It seems to angle down slightly, which doesn't seem to suffer significant reflections (at least with the top up). I haven't driven it with the top down yet.

I will say that the sound quality is surprisingly improved over the old unit, something I didn't expect.
I am looking to do something similar. Did yours have the equalizer controls like mine?
If so, don't they have to be there to control the factory amp?