View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #12
DaveNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman1 View Post
A few details on my install:
I have a 2001 s. The double din unit replaced the 0riginal cr-220 radio and the small parcel slot - the HVAC controls were already in the lowest slot, so didn't need to be moved.
I had it installed by Foss (several shops in Seattle area) but can't recommend them. The install price was right (<$250) but they didn't seem to know how to do it - it took them two tries, over 7 hours total, and it's still not right - the right and left channels are reversed and the trim piece around the unit does not fit right - it's not flush and it is loose. I jut ordered an install/trim kit from Crutchfield, and I'm going to redo the physical install with Crutchfield parts.
I also can't recommend Cary Toys (another area chain) - they quoted me $200 for the install, but when I asked them to print it out so I could think about it, the install price jumped to $700!
The previous owner had installed MB Quart speakers with a high-end crossover and separate amp, so I was already good to go there.
I'll post a pic or two in a couple days, when I am able to.
Thanks, Stan. Sorry the install was a hassle - and that was quite a jump in price for the one company! I live north of Everett, so will likely use a local installer I know and trust - but I want to make sure I have all the answers and pieces before I walk in the door of his shop. I'm researching options and modules needed for a proper install of a unit like yours.

Do you happen to know any details on the amp you have? My '02 S had the base CR-220 stereo in it, which was swapped out for a Kenwood single-DIN unit a number of years ago, but it is a POS. Impossible to push the tiny buttons without a magnifying glass to see which one to push, and it's easy to turn it off when selecting which mode to be in. Very NOT user friendly design. There is no separate amp in the car, as far as I know.

Does anyone have details on stereo upgrades like this they'd care to share? At this point I'm especially interested in speaker options and amplifiers used. What fits, where did you put it, and so forth. I'm not after killer-base or anything, just would like to enjoy the stereo while out for a drive - with or without the top down.

Dave