Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #21

Sony XAV-AX100 Upgrade

I just completed a stereo upgrade on my 2001 Boxster S. I removed the CR-220 unit. I moved the climate control to the lower position and added a backup camera. The head unit I used was the Sony XAV-AX100. I chose it for having Apple Car Play, a volume knob and the bezel was the best match to the factory color and texture. I use Crutchfield for the the install kit and harness. I did have a few questions and they responded with good feedback. Because the Apple Car Play (or the Android version) requires you to connect to the unit via USB, I wanted to maximize the USB placement. I elected to use the cigerette lighter location. I removed the lighter which is a bit of a pain and gutted it. I used the lighter body as the frame to fit a USB receptacle as well as maintaining the factory lighting for the bezel. I epoxied the USB plug into place and it worked perfectly. I did remove the cig lighter fuse and pulled the 12VDC pin from the connector. I heat shrunk the pin and stowed it in the harness. I also installed a microphone in the factory location just to the left of the instrument cluster. It is proud mounted but works perfect even with the top down.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #22

Beutiful installation!
Old 03-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #23

Xtrons

My Boxster came with a very poorly installed fast and furious looking aftermarket single din head unit that didn't look like it belonged. I wanted something that appeared OEM but had more capabilities than the Becker stereo that the car had when it was new. My solution was to get a Chinese Xtrons double din Android head unit. As well as playing music it can also run GPS & OBD software (and any other Android app for that matter). The head unit has no tell-tale brand name on it's face and it was fairly easy to customize the interface to make it look OEM. I just completed the installation this past week and well pleased with the result.
A 986 S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #24

Looks great.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #25

I’ve got a kenwood system in my car. Most shops, or Crutchfield will have install kits to include harness for most, if not all of what they sell, or is available. Getting the console out isn’t too big of a deal. I also have an aftermarket amp that was in the car, wiring was FUBAR, but with some patience I got it sorted. Works nicely.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:49 AM   #26

Nice install. I wanted a double din install but my wife is like its a classic should stay that way. So i went with a single din, so i can put it all back factory. I have nav on my phone, really just wanted streaming capabilities.

Have not installed yet doing a whole sys swap. Have hu, amp, on hand soeakers should be here next week. Hopefully i can post pics soon.

I like the idea of more programming options though.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #27

Garage
I added an ebay Chinese unit, replaced all the factory speakers and added 6 speakers to the rear deck and replaced the amp with one from a 996 cabrio. I think the 6 speakers in the rear deck did the most to enhance sound. My factory speakers in the doors and dash were shot.