Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Cloth top question/issue

Attached is a photo showing a layer of the cloth top that's exposed just below the plastic window and just above the black trim on the body's "clam shell"cover. (see the pointer).
Last summer I had a little engine work done and before I brought it in I don't recall ever seeing this "additional cloth strip". It's on a 98' with what I believe to be an original top. I'm wondering if its normal and I never noticed it before or IF in the process of working on the engine they messed with the top when accessing the engine. The top operates fine but it looks different than before BUT I could be wrong.

Could someone tell me if that strip of cloth should be showing or if by some means it should be tucked away.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rob175; 04-03-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Basically, the adhesive strip that holds it to the bottom bow is loosening - that seam should be level with, or below, the rear seal.

In one of the roof re-covering guides, there is a model number of 3M adhesive tape to use - it's quite thin and won't add bulk like emblem tape would. Plus it's also a LOT more viscous so it'll hold far better as well. I know when I did mine, I got it at O'Reilly.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

I know of the tape you are referring to ...I believe it's called "VHB" tape.......

But having said that I'm not sure how to remove the rubber seal and then pull the fabric back into position. The overall top still appears to be tight and a good fit.
Can you lead me to a web site that explains how to fix this? (web/YouTube...etc)

Last edited by Rob175; 04-03-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Santa Barbara, CA

From the photo, it looks like the fabric is uniformly faded, so it's appears to have been in the sun like that for some time.

Having recently installed a new top on my '98 (with the glass window), I know how snug the top is when it's installed correctly. There isn't much, if any, slack to play with, even on a new top.

If yours fits correctly now, you won't be able to pull it under the trim piece to make that seam disappear and still get the top to latch to the windshield.
jvfante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #5

easy fix

This happened to mine as well. The solution is adding some good thin 2 sided tape under the rubber strip.

I assume the "additional cloth strip" is not even from side to side? Mine sort of pulled up a bit in the middle and made the back window flutter on the highway. The rubber strip holing that on just pulls off and the top has to be pulled down tight pressed onto the new tape and rubber strip reinstalled to hold it tight. You might get away with just doing the middle third of the window like mine. I think I did it with the top partly open to release pressure.

It's a fiddly job that might require a third hand. An upholstery shop could probably fix it in an hour or so.
chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
It's 3M 06348.

I used Mike Focke's directions for the rear bow.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingthetop-adiy
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #7

Thanks guys....I'll follow those suggestions. The top isn't faded at all probably a bad photo exposure (garage kept summer car driven 99% of the time with the top down) .....so I'd like to keep it instead of spending the $1800 (parts+labor+tax) on a new one. I'll do some research to learn how to remove the large rubber strip that covers the area I need to apply the tape. From the article referenced it appears the rubber strip just pulls off BUT my guess is it might slide into a channel of sorts. I certainly don't want to damage it in the removal so I hope it comes off easily. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Rob175; 04-04-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
I certainly don't want to damage it in the removal so I hope it comes off easily. Wish me luck!
It's a press-fit. As long as you don't manhandle it, you'll be fine.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #9

So, if I understand you correctly, when you say the rubber is a "press fit", removal is done by careful pulling? The rubber isn't inserted in some sort of channel? If so, how does the rubber get refastened back into position?...... or...... are you saying the rubber is a press fit into a channel or grove of some sort?
Old 04-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
So, if I understand you correctly, when you say the rubber is a "press fit", removal is done by careful pulling? The rubber isn't inserted in some sort of channel? If so, how does the rubber get refastened back into position?...... or...... are you saying the rubber is a press fit into a channel or grove of some sort?
My apologies, I should have detailed that. Yes, it's a press-fit into a channel and stays due to the ridges on the seal. If you use a plastic trim tool that'll help get it pushed in enough and seated.

On my '04, the corners of the seal will sometimes get caught on the clamshell arm covers and pull out a little. I have lots of experience tucking them back in.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #11

Thanks for the clarification. I'm hoping to see if I can remove the rubber starting more towards the middle. I've ordered the 3M tape number and hope to expose enough so I can pull the cover taught and then retape and then manage to get the rubber re-inserted in the channel.
I watched one of the install videos on you tube and they got one end of the rubber out, then just pulled it completely out of the groves. I'm a bit nervous about "exceeding my DYI ability". I will admit and if the top was worn out I wouldn't hesitate to see what I can do myself with my fallback position being to bit the bullet and spend the $1800 to get a new top professionally installed. But the top and the plastic window are in very good shape.
I'll see what I can do and hopefully not ruin anything.
Thanks again
Old 04-06-2017, 06:03 AM   #12

thanks again
Old 04-10-2017, 05:22 AM   #13

After some consideration ...I think I'll hold off since the top stays down all summer I'll save the $1800 and possibly replace the whole top next year.