Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Fragile?

Okay, because I'm new, and seeing various posts on diy stuff, and classifieds involving 'roller' cars and finally because I see there is a solid cross-section of weekend racers and driving enthusiasts, I have to ask your opinion: Is the Boxster a fragile car? I'm new to the car so it will take a while before I drive in a spirited fashion (I'm not ever the type to push the envelope) and I can appreciate the elements I will need to observe, but having said that, would you still say it's a solid reliable car? I plan on oil changes every 5K miles, RMS and IMS have just been done and I'll do them again in about 20K, with a clutch .... with all the reading through this forum etc. I started to wonder if it is fragile, as well as being well engineered (which does seem contradictory).
Cheers!

pidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

Imho

The Porsche is not by its nature a fragile car. I gotta ask, why would you consider doing the IMS and RMS a second time? Never heard of such a thing. And, unless you're doing burn outs you won't need another clutch at 20K either.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

Garage
Fragile meaning easily destroyed, insubstantial, flimsy....No
Old 03-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Take a look at this thread.... Redline...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I would suggest that you contact your local PCA group; California Inland Region PCA I am guessing that you are in California. Hang out with these people, make some new friends and learn what your car is capable of. If the spirit moves you, sign up for a Drivers Education and really learn how to use your car to the fullest from qualified instructors.

Porsche has a long motor-sport history. From Le Mans to Paris-Dakar. They were built to be driven hard and fast. Safe travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #6

I would LOVE to go to California, but I'm trapped up North in Ontario, Canada Hence my waiting for spring! Great question re: IMS/ RMS . The PO had the 30K service done and also swapped out the IMS and RMS (there was some sweating at the diff connect) The IMS that was removed looks perfect, and he mentioned that I should change the oil at shorter intervals and the IMS (again) when I do the clutch (the clutch is fine - car has 26K on it). Of course, I appreciate your opinions around that. I just want to enjoy the vehicle and take care of it.
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Take a look at this thread.... Redline...
Okay, I hadn't even STARTED thinking about shift points, but my mind is truly blown ... I had no idea!
Old 03-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

My Cayman is my "winter beater" and DE car. From Omaha I've:

driven 3400 mi round trip to Monterey, CA for 2014 Porsche Parade + a 2-day DE at Laguna Seca.

driven 2000 mi round trip to Austin, TX for a 3-day DE at COTA. Just did my 3rd DE there earlier this mo.

driven 1400 mi round trip to Indianapolis for a 3-day DE at INDY. If I can scrape the funds together, I hope to do it again this yr.

driven 350 mi round trip to Kansas City for a 2-day DE at Kansas Speedway. Have done this DE twice but sadly the organizers and the track had a disagreement so they no longer hold this DE.

How many cars can you drive long distances to your destination, drive hard for 2 or 3 days on a track, and then comfortably drive home?

Porsches are tough SOBs.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

A different perspective.....

If you are looking at 986 Boxsters, you are looking at cars that are now 13-20 years old. The fact you hear about the warts is the fact that there is a following.

Go find the forums for 2000 Accords or Camry's, If you can find an active forum, 'll bet you'll find lots of folks with problems and questions. Please don't think I am saying you have nothing to worry about if you buy a Boxster and I commend you for asking as now is the time to do it before you determine weather or not to buy.

This forum is very active and as such, you'll find lots of folks asking for advice, talking about repairs or (sometimes) venting.

Have your driven a P-car yet? That first drive is all it took for me to get hooked, potential warts and all. My car has 132K miles. No IMS or RMS work and no leaks. I might be jinxing myself but I doubt it. Best sports car I've EVER owned.

Its hard to find a forum where there's a thread titled
"My car is amazing and ran great again today"

Try one...get one if its for you. You're gonna love it.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #10

The Boxsters you see being talked about may have had varied histories of use, maintenance, etc. Owners have different wants and pocketbooks.

Racer, daily driver, all seasons, hibernating during the winter, well maintained, ignored, good and frequent oil changes, trying to save, by the schedules maintenance, when I get around to it ... and the cars are up to 20 years old by now and many have gone through multiple owners as the owners needs/wants changed.

Owned two, loved 'em. I volunteered to go 15 miles for pizza. Less troubles by far than my same era Hondas. I did simple maintenance but, for the very few difficult tasks where diagnosis by an expert made sense, I took the car to a true Porsche expert.

The IMS bearing replacement claim should be verified and the brand and type of bearing determined before buying. There are well proven bearings and then there are bearings. There are also sellers who claim something to make a sale when the truth is a bit different.

Do the IMS right and you'll never need to do it again. Do it wrong and ....

There are lots of Canadian Boxster owners.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
I would LOVE to go to California, but I'm trapped up North in Ontario, Canada
My bad. There is an Acton N/E of Los Angeles and I took a wild stab at it. I can guarantee that your Acton is much nicer than California's. I know zero about PCA Canada. You are really close to Toronto and or Niagara. PCA UCR | Porsche Club of America, Upper Canada Region I am originally from Buffalo. Buffalo is a great place to be from.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #12

There's a fridge magnet saying: "Buy the shoes, take the vacation .." or something like that. So I bought a Porsche. Crazy thing, but I feel like I did the right thing and I bought the best car I could afford (well, a little more than I could afford ..) So now I'm looking forward to getting it on the road!!! Just the answers and examples here erase any thought of fragility in the car. Stuff happens and it could go all to crap in a moment, but heh I'll take my chances and take care of it and we'll see .... now where the hell is the spring?!?!?!?!
Cheers and Thanks!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #13

I work with a guy who grew up in Western New York (Buffalo) and moved to L.A. and has no intention of coming back!! Western New York people are awesome and I love going over for sporting events etc.!!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:46 AM   #14

Far from fragile and would prefer to be driven daily as opposed to sitting in a garage waiting for 75F and sunny.
Frank N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #15

Garage
The contradiction is that these cars seem to be less fragile when you drive them hard and often. The problem is most seem not to drive them often enough. I guilty of that.

I tend to think of them as fragile but when I drive it hard, really hard, long distances, it just works without complaining.

I don't see, and most don't treat them, as a car you jump in at 9 o'clock at night and run down to local store to buy milk like the family SUV.

We tend to talk about warming them up, getting the fluids up to temp., driving min 20-30 mins to burn off moisture. I'm guilty in that I raely start it unless I'm driving some distance.

On this forum new guys/gals are buying their first Porsche 15+years old with over 100k miles. The quality is there but age does what it does so that tends to be the focus trying to stay ahead of problems
Old 04-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #16
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
I would LOVE to go to California, but I'm trapped up North in Ontario, Canada Hence my waiting for spring! Great question re: IMS/ RMS . The PO had the 30K service done and also swapped out the IMS and RMS (there was some sweating at the diff connect) The IMS that was removed looks perfect, and he mentioned that I should change the oil at shorter intervals and the IMS (again) when I do the clutch (the clutch is fine - car has 26K on it). Of course, I appreciate your opinions around that. I just want to enjoy the vehicle and take care of it.
Thanks!
Ahhhh Acton! It's worth the drive! Ontario people will understand that reference to the Hide House. Anyway, you just happen to live in the area of the PCA's largest chapter, the Upper Canada Region. They are one of the most active chapters having dozens of events all year long. Go here https://www.pca.org and check out the PCA. As well there are all kinds of Souther Ontario people who are very active on this forum.

Have fun!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Ahhhh Acton! It's worth the drive! Ontario people will understand that reference to the Hide House.
Lol! Man, what effective marketing that was!! Canadians AND Western New Yorkers recognize that line!! Great to know about the PCA info - I'll check the links and attend some events!

Thanks!!